Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler condemned by British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I think Which? (The Consumers' Association) brought this to my attention. I can confirm I had a DeLonghi 3kW rated oil filled rad. The heating element was indeed 3kW and when switched on and running, it would draw 3kW through the electricity meter. However, once the oil was warm, the radiator was unable to transfer the heat out of the oil as fast as the heating element was heating the oil. So at this point a safety temperature heat limit thermostat stopped it heating any more until it cooled down a little (all exactly as described in the Which report). In practice, in normal usage, the 3kW rated oil-filled rad was converting electricity into heat at around 2kWh per hour if I remember correctly, not 3kWh per hour as would be expected.

Since a water-filled radiator in use in a central heating system is rated for conditions that are not anywhere near that far out from normal usage conditions, a 2kW central heating radiator will chuck out (roughly) the 2kW you would expect.

As such I would agree with you. If it's rated at 3kW it should do that! And, in practice, a fan heater, halogen, or even the very cheap type of convector heater where you can see the wires generally does do that, so I think it's very misleading.
I use several 2 kw flood lights in my workshop, 100% efficient heat & light
centralheatking

Reply to Boiler condemned by British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I was hoping you could help with a potential boiler build query for my father. He has recently had a new boiler installed via British Gas (valiant brand). The external boiler flue seems excessively tall, proving to be somewhat of an eye sore (please see pictures attached). I know it...
Replies
Views
Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual safety check before the fault developed. He said the boiler is ok with no fault. He said there must be a leak under the floor boards causing hot...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just moved into a house with a British Gas 330 boiler and would like to fit a modulating smart thermostat. Does anyone know what modulation protocol it uses? I've googled, checked the manufacturer's website ( Glowworm ) but with no luck. Boiler ID GC 41-047-75 Thanks!
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock