Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler - burner - hex cleaning. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

O

Old Account

hi lads, I was wondering how you guys clean the burner of Vaillant or viessman boilers?
Do you guys use any products to get that cleaned out? I only use water, occasionally cola due to its phosphate... all the other products I know off they aren’t good for cleaning as they are very aggressive and could harm in long term the boiler.

I have see people who has befor ad after pictures and they cleaned the burner back to its original stainless steel without any leftovers. I have asked a couple of other people and they said water, coke, and elbow grease.

What is elbow grease and what should I get?

Kind regards,

Ron

Combination of fairy liquid ( true ) white vinegar and water , you could do with buying the Viessmann cleaning knife , it gets in between the hex bends and then its just elbow grease , if they are done every year , they clean dead easy .

Combination of fairy liquid ( true ) white vinegar and water , you could do with buying the Viessmann cleaning knife , it gets in between the hex bends and then its just elbow grease , if they are done every year , they clean dead easy .
Thank you for your answer ... does elbow grease really help?

Thank you all for the help. I’ll try next time with elbow grease to see what’s the outcome.

However, how long do you guys spend on dong a proper service ? Somehow it takes me at least a good 1.5h to do a good scrup and changing the sparks, seals, checking the exp. vessel, etc. Seems like I never come across a good boiler which has been serviced accordingly.

half a day i allow for a full service

half a day i allow for a full service
Oha, but what can you charge for half a day service. Don’t know anyone who wants to pay that sort of money. Majority of people don’t want to pay more even £70 so I don’t think you can do half a day’s job and earn that little.

Half a day for a full service??? 2 hours max. And I use just the condensate water from trap to clean the hex
Oh that’s a good idea. I never thought of doing it though. Does it help to get rid of the stains and stuff? I was under the impression 1,5h-2h max for a service as I don’t think anyone will pay that.

Oha, but what can you charge for half a day service. Don’t know anyone who wants to pay that sort of money. Majority of people don’t want to pay more even £70 so I don’t think you can do half a day’s job and earn that little.

around the £150 including a burner gasket £160 with new inb

get 70 for a stnd safety check

Now, always explain that it may require a full strip and seal replacement etc before I go and charge by the hour. Unless it one I know and understand what I am walking in to.

Match it will clean the hex pretty decent. The instructor on the vaillant course said that's the best...the pictures you see of gleaming hex have probably been scrubbed with diffeendi grades of wire wool. Personally wouldn't recommend it.

Match it will clean the hex pretty decent. The instructor on the vaillant course said that's the best...the pictures you see of gleaming hex have probably been scrubbed with diffeendi grades of wire wool. Personally wouldn't recommend it.
I would not scrub that either with wire wool have seen a couple being ruined due to the hard wire. I’m using plastic brushes or the ones you can get when doing oil boilers. I will give that a go

I would not scrub that either with wire wool have seen a couple being ruined due to the hard wire. I’m using plastic brushes or the ones you can get when doing oil boilers. I will give that a go

Ron , believe me , you need the tool ... no brush will clean between the hex bends .

Ron , believe me , you need the tool . no brush will clean between the hex bends .
I know, i believe you. But I won’t scrub the hex with wire brushes. I will use the brushes supplied by the manufacturers. What kind of stuff do you use? Perhaps you can upload a pic of what you use.

I know, i believe you. But I won’t scrub the hex with wire brushes. I will use the brushes supplied by the manufacturers. What kind of stuff do you use? Perhaps you can upload a pic of what you use.

They a easy to clean , all I use regarding brushes is a old paint brush with about 15mm of bristles left , its stiff enough to clean without scratching , trouble is I am nact when they wear away , I will have to buy another one , its taken years to get it this good lol.

Stiff nylon brush

replace burner gasket,
drain and recharge expansion vessel and make sure its sized correctly,
clean condy trap out,
check the pump is in good condition and still working,
check flue system is correct and is bracketed and screwed if not apply them,
check the safety valves are correct and terminating in the correct positions,
check the plate temp drops,
check the diverter is working correctly and fully
bleed all the rads and check system water,
clean the maggy filter,
if maggy is that bad clean the return boiler filter,
balance the system,
adjust the boiler heating setting for the required kw load,
check hot water temps as outlets,

and more

replace burner gasket,
drain and recharge expansion vessel and make sure its sized correctly,
clean condy trap out,
check the pump is in good condition and still working,
check flue system is correct and is bracketed and screwed if not apply them,
check the safety valves are correct and terminating in the correct positions,
check the plate temp drops,
check the diverter is working correctly and fully
bleed all the rads and check system water,
clean the maggy filter,
if maggy is that bad clean the return boiler filter,
balance the system,
adjust the boiler heating setting for the required kw load,
check hot water temps as outlets,

and more
Thanks for list shaun!
What do you mean by checking the plate temperature drops? How am I doing this?
I also don’t check the diverter valve in particular as I check the boiler before I start the service if all works well.

I always do visual checks around the boiler, inside the boiler, flue and gas pipe
I do my Letby and tightness tests
Gas rating
Fga
Burner seal
Electrodes
Trap
Filter if present
Prv Check of termination
Expansion vessel checks
I also check the safety by turning the gas off and see if boiler goes into lockout after re igniting few times.

temp on hot water side flow and return to check its working correctly and same on the heating side can tell if the plate needs cleaning or replacing

temp on hot water side flow and return to check its working correctly and same on the heating side can tell if the plate needs cleaning or replacing
Good to know, I will check that next time as I have got those clamps from testo. Ifthe difference between flow and return is too big will that mean I could have a dirty plate?

Good to know, I will check that next time as I have got those clamps from testo. Ifthe difference between flow and return is too big will that mean I could have a dirty plate?

you want it to be big ie 60-25-30 etc plate is good

60-55 plate bad / needs cleaning

you want it to be big ie 60-25-30 etc plate is good

60-55 plate bad / needs cleaning
Usually the flow temp. Is set to 55-60c and return is mostly 15-20k difference. If I had a boiler 65 flow temp and return is 58c that means I could have a bad steel plate which needs cleaning?

Usually the flow temp. Is set to 55-60c and return is mostly 15-20k difference. If I had a boiler 65 flow temp and return is 58c that means I could have a bad steel plate which needs cleaning?

correct for a plate on the hot water

Reply to Boiler - burner - hex cleaning. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock