Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Boiler and or pipes persisntely leaking.. in the New Member Introductions area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. PJ2477

PJ2477 New Member

Hi All,

My mother had a Worcester combi boiler fitted just over 10 years ago and in the start it was a great comfort, unfortunately there have been leaks pretty much every year. She does have insurance cover with Swalec and each time they are here they say the boiler is one of the best and she is just unlucky. The last 10 days along though she has had two leaks from the pipes under the boiler and each fix took the plumbers up to 2 hours, plus the last fix now has all the pipes clunking loudly when the water taps are shut off quickly.

I was hoping someone may have some advice on what I should do and what I may say to Swalec to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.

2. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

As it is a combi i would expect a shock arrestor to be fitted to the incoming cold mains pipe.

It usually looks something like this -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/reflex-expansion-vessel-shock-arrestor-0-16ltr/8199v#_=p

Altecnic Water Shock Arrester 525040

This absorbs the shock load when 1/4 taps are quickly turned off or a washing machine closes the cold fill valve suddenly causing a shock load in the system.

These are designed to reduce/eliminate leaks caused by repeated shock loading to the system over a period of time.

You may find that one of these will reduce future problems with the boiler,

Thanks,

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. robdog6000

robdog6000 New Member

I would agree with Andy. Shock arrestors are rarely fitted, despite Worcester recommending there use.

Faced with a 10 year old boiler with repeated issues, I would suggest you get someone else in too take a look. It may even be time for a new boiler, depending on whether the boiler or pipework is at fault.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BYP

BYP GSR

A second opinion wouldn’t hurt, how old is the actual heating system Radiators, pipework, etc and is everything lagged that you know of?

• Like Like x 1
  5. PJ2477

PJ2477 New Member

Thanks guys you have convinced me to get a second opinion and hopefully resolve this. Cheers,