Search the forum,

Discuss Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone
I am not a trader, but I am currently renting small industrial unit with an old oil heater. Couple of weeks ago my landlord accessed the unit to perform annual safety check with an engineer. He did it without letting me know of any planed works on the unit, but that's legal matters so I don't want to say any more.
The heating furnace was not in use by us for over the two years, oil and power disconnected, so only person with the right know how would be able to restart it. One of my colleagues complained about strong draft from the heater, so we disconnected the metal chimney and stuck some rugs at the burner side of the heater. Right into the heater round flange to the side.
When landlord came with engineer and they restarted/fired up that heater whole industrial unit filled with smoke within less than a minute. Heating engineer dismantled the heater and they found our bag of rugs.
Landlord now claims over thousand pound of loses, as he said lot of damage to the heater was cause by the blowback? He also said that it could have caused an explosion and killed him and the engineer.
Can anyone with oil heater experience comment on that please? What could possibly got destroyed and could it really cause explosion?
Thanks
Peter

Sounds a bit like two wrongs in my eyes. They shouldn’t have let themselves in without prior notice min 24 hours I believe, but you really shouldn’t have dismantled a combustion device without prior approval by your LL or at very least allowed him the opportunity to have it decommissioned, even temporarily, by a pro. The fact that they didn’t know the rugs were there could of course have been dangerous, I’m not sure to the extent of an explosion but certainly a fire and potentially a CO risk depending on the blockage. Might have to bite the bullet on it or at least pay out for an independent second opinion

Sounds like the sort of thing a court would need to decide on.
Two sides to every story and you shouldn’t have been stuffing rugs inside an appliance

You could also claim that you never have used the heater.

As far as you knew the heater never worked and the oil and power to it had been disconnected.

When was the last time the unit had been in operation?
How long have you rented the property for?

You could also claim that you never have used the heater.

As far as you knew the heater never worked and the oil and power to it had been disconnected.

When was the last time the unit had been in operation?
How long have you rented the property for?

We have been there for two years, but never used oil heater as advised by the landlord. He said its disconnected and should not touch it, which was fine with us.

Whoever was recommissioning the heater should have done a flue flow test, there could have been birds nests, squirrels etc after 2 years.

I'd lay the blame far more at the Engineer.

He may have only gone to do an Annual inspection, but once he found it disconnected (regardless of who did ) it then becomes a recommission.

What make Heater / burner is it?

Sounds like the sort of thing a court would need to decide on.
Two sides to every story and you shouldn’t have been stuffing rugs inside an appliance
As far as we were aware this unit was not operational. Apart from that, if landlord was to follow legal procedure and told me he is coming to work on the heater, we would have advise him of blocked chimney.
Does this type of units have some sort of meter inside? Something that engineer make record of each time service is being done?

Sounds a bit like two wrongs in my eyes. They shouldn’t have let themselves in without prior notice min 24 hours I believe, but you really shouldn’t have dismantled a combustion device without prior approval by your LL or at very least allowed him the opportunity to have it decommissioned, even temporarily, by a pro. The fact that they didn’t know the rugs were there could of course have been dangerous, I’m not sure to the extent of an explosion but certainly a fire and potentially a CO risk depending on the blockage. Might have to bite the bullet on it or at least pay out for an independent second opinion
Thanks. My take on this is exactly the same. If it was for a court to decide I believe blame would fall on both of us. I am however concern about cost or repair, especially that he's refusing to show me any invoices.

Clutching at straws a bit mate. Yes LL and his engineer should’ve done things differently but so should you by not blocking a combustion appliance

One more thing.
Landlord stated in his email, that engineer came to the unit to do annual service on the heater and after he finished he fired up the unit which resulted with smoke and damage. I know little about this type of equipment, but should he not be able spot this bag hanging out from the side flange into the burner? It was not up in the chimney but right inside this metal flange to which you connect chimney pipe.

Two sides to every story.

Ask for evidence of landlords engineers competency.

But really shouldn't have touched the heater.

Going forward, employ an oil engineer to look at the heater and confirm it's condition.

Then take legal advice.

Until you know what has been done ie invoices I don’t believe you have anything to answer

I would definitely employ an independent engineer to give you a professional input too

So it’s been repaired?
How much is he asking from you?
Right. So in november I exercised break lease on the property. I have cleared it mostly and landlord agreed to re-advertise. I have been paying lease up to date and got an email recently that they have found a new tenant. However I already paid for the next quarter and when asked for the overpaid rent back plus deposit unless he claims any damages, that's when all the problems started. He said that he and heating engineer went to the property couple of days after I informed him about break lease (which was illegal as he didn't inform me in advance as per our lease agreement) to service heating unit.
Furnace was blocked and blowback caused damage to some parts inside. He says he already paid 500+vat and is awaiting full report and some more parts to be replaced. Mind you it was in november and he didn't tell me a word or even asked me each time he went there without me knowing.
As he informed me about new tenant I don't have access to the property anymore.

I wouldn’t be paying a penny without proof
Well he refused to pay deposit back (2k) and retained overpaid lease (2k). As far as I knew he will claim any cost arising from finding another tenant, which is fine with me. I am not sure if he can retain overpaid rent towards any damages. But it's not like I have control over money I already paid as he ignores me when I ask to pay back. And when I did, he came up with heater damage that has taken place 4 months ago while I was still a tenant paying rent and he didn't informed me back then, just know.

Then you have two choices. You cut your losses and move on or you consult a solicitor and have a letter drawn up re withheld monies owing as there has been nothing official to back up your LL holding the money

You shouldn’t have blocked the flue. But I can’t see how it would cause £1000 of damage.
There would have been a lot of soot inside to clean out and the rug might have set on fire. It could have blown a flue seal.
Sounds like your landlord is charging you the full deposit. Only way he can do this is with proper invoices. If he can’t supply the invoice and report, then you have a case.
I would ask for these, stating if he doesn’t. You will be contacting your solicitor.

You shouldn’t have blocked the flue. But I can’t see how it would cause £1000 of damage.
There would have been a lot of soot inside to clean out and the rug might have set on fire. It could have blown a flue seal.
Sounds like your landlord is charging you the full deposit. Only way he can do this is with proper invoices. If he can’t supply the invoice and report, then you have a case.
I would ask for these, stating if he doesn’t. You will be contacting your solicitor.
Interesting. Could it cause explosion as he claims?

I’m not sure what you really Want us to say my friend. No one on here is going to say you are completely in the right go after your landlord. You’re in the wrong safety wise. He’s in the wrong in terms of procedure

Wouldn't he need a proof of me actually having a good reason to do it? Like disputes. I have always been good tenant, no problems ever.

So you didn’t put rags in the heater ?

Stop feckin about on an Internet forum and put your efforts into a legal offensive.

All I'm getting from your posts is clutching at straws.

You had blocked the flue because of a draught. You are liable.
You forgot to remove blockage. You are liable.
The landlord accessed the property after you had moved out but are still the tenant. Depends what it says in the agreement.

Yes but it’s tit for tat you shouldn’t have meddled with an appliance you were neither allowed or competent to work on

1) who disconnected the boiler?
2) if you have been in the unit with it disconnected what about the last 2 safety checks?
3) you say you disconnected the flue then put the bag of rags in did you put the flue back on?

If he was to follow procedure and told me he is coming to do work on the heater I would have removed it. Its not like I returned his property with rug in a flange. I was still a tenant and no one else had access to the property.

So you would of put the heater back together when you left and made sure it was safe by employing an oftec engy to make sure it was safe ?

1) who disconnected the boiler?
2) if you have been in the unit with it disconnected what about the last 2 safety checks?
3) you say you disconnected the flue then put the bag of rags in did you put the flue back on?
It was disconnected when we moved in. I didn't get certificate with my lease documents. I don't know if landlords keeps them or I get a copy too. Last year no one came in to do any checks.
We had to put flu back and connect it to the flange, otherwise it would drop on the floor.

I know the LL has done things wrong but all I’m hearing here is someone tampering with a combustion appliance

So you would of put the heater back together when you left and made sure it was safe by employing an oftec engy to make sure it was safe ?
Would remove it, its obvious, but why call anyone if heater is disconnected from power and oil supply thus not operational. We still had some property inside the property.

Reply to Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock