Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked Kitchen Sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can resolve my issues and provide us with an idea of cost!

3 weeks ago my kitchen sinked got blocked, I tried plunging it and strong sink unblocker but neither worked. We, stupidly in hindsight, called up Plumbforce direct to get the issue resolved. Avoid them at all costs by the way. Plumber one turned up, spent about an hour plunging and used a 10m rod down the waste pipe which didn't work. Another hour of plunging and it suddenly appeared as though the problem was resolved, water drained fine. This was on a friday, I came back after a weekend away and the problem had returned. Plumbforce direct sent out another engineer, this time a drain expert. He did the same as the first guy with no luck but then noticed that we have an air admittance valve under the sink which he reckoned was faulty. Plumber 3 turned up 2 days later, replaced the valve but the issue was still there.

By this time we had not been able to use the sink or dishwasher (which is connected to the same waste pipe under the sink) for over a week. Plumbforce then stopped answering the phone so we are trying to get our money back.

Strangely enough, 2 days after the air admittance valve was replaced it suddenly appeared as though the sink was working again! It has been operating fine for the past week or so, sink drains off fine and when the dishwasher is on we don't get water coming up through the sink like we did before the issue appeared.

Tonight, the issue has come back again! Dishwasher on, waste water starting filling up the sink and drained off so slowly.

Our flat is in a house with 2 other flats, neither of which have issues.

Welcome to the forum. It would help if you posted your location - our members are all over the UK so someone will be near you no doubt.

Apologies, that might help! I'm in Brixton/Streatham Hill in London.

This morning I tried something that worked but it just makes the whole problem more baffling. I filled the sink up and took the plug out, the water just sat there as expected. I then put a screw driver into the air admittance valve and all of a sudden the water started to drain away. I can't believe that the valve has suddenly become faulty again after only 2 weeks so maybe it's something to do with the pressure or lack of it in the system? I have no idea but I hope someone does and can help us

There's no pressure as such in your waste pipework, so it won't be anything like a lack of pressure.

Can you remove the air admittance valve completely? It might be glued in, in which case you won't be able to, but it's worth a try. It may be faulty, it wouldn't be unheard of. Sounds as though there's no blockages if the water ran away easily when you poked the AAV.

If you can't get anywhere with it drop me a private message through the forum, I cover that area...

The first valve was glued on but the recently fitted second one can be unscrewed. I just removed it, filled the sink up and took the plug out - it seemed to drain off fine at first but then slowed right down and stopped completely for a while. Then it started draining again. Lots of gurgling and bubbling noises, still not right?

The first valve was glued on but the recently fitted second one can be unscrewed. I just removed it, filled the sink up and took the plug out - it seemed to drain off fine at first but then slowed right down and stopped completely for a while. Then it started draining again. Lots of gurgling and bubbling noises, still not right?

That sounds like a partial blockage. Chemicals won't shift that as they'll run through the hole in whatever is blocking the pipe. A flexible drain snake might do it, or else tracing the pipe run and looking for any access points that you could rod it from.

We've had a 10m drain snake put down the waste pipe before and it didn't do anything. Now that the air valve is removed the water is at least draining although it seems to drain quickly then slow then quickly etc. Also makes lots of gurgling noises!

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked Kitchen Sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock