Search the forum,

Discuss Blind Person needs advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
A blind lady whom we are aware if has had a new combi fitted, as a replacement, the installer has refused to
switch it on until she is instructed how to operate it, being blind this has proved problematic so Now the prat is threatening to rtn tomorrow and turn gas off. I might add she is in rented property and it is a boiler replacement
who is right awww Rob Foster aka centralheatking

A blind lady whom we are aware if has had a new combi fitted, as a replacement, the installer has refused to
switch it on until she is instructed how to operate it, being blind this has proved problematic so Now the prat is threatening to rtn tomorrow and turn gas off. I might add she is in rented property and it is a boiler replacement
who is right awww Rob Foster aka centralheatking
My brain hurts Rob? It is or isn’t on?? If it isn’t why is he turning the gas off? Why would she let him in??

Its a housing association flat, a replacement combi has been fitted and tested but the fitter will not sign the boiler off until he has instructed the tennant. The tennant is blind, and cannot do the operations he has asked her to learn eg check the pressure , the pressure dial,is in a glass case she cannot feel the dials so he has refused to leave it on and said he will return and turn gas off...is it gsr policy to instruct new owner or operator and cut unit off off if this cannot take place chking

Its a housing association flat, a replacement combi has been fitted and tested but the fitter will not sign the boiler off until he has instructed the tennant. The tennant is blind, and cannot do the operations he has asked her to learn eg check the pressure , the pressure dial,is in a glass case she cannot feel the dials so he has refused to leave it on and said he will return and turn gas off...is it gsr policy to instruct new owner or operator and cut unit off off if this cannot take place chking
Call the landlord. They will sort it out.

The installer is the Idiot.
He's installing on behalf of a Landlord so I'm sure when the Landlord gets to hear the boiler is not on the installer won't get paid, job not complete.

Surely it was obvious from the moment the installer arrived that the occupant was blind, so why did he continue if he was never going to complete the job.

Did he warn the tennant or Landord about his actions upon his arrival, if he had either the Tennant or Landlord could have arranged someone to be there at completion.
Why should the Tennant NEED to know how to check the pressure, does he know it's got a leak already?

Is the boiler on now or is it off and he's returning to turn the gas off at the meter?

What if he turned up to service a boiler in a flat with a blind tennant, would he turn the gas off then?

Tennant needs to contact the Landlord, he's paying the installer.

Last edited:
Forgive me, but wtf is the world coming to when a blind person, who lets face it has enough cr4p in their day, is treated like this? :mad:

This installer is the epitome of the tick box world we inhabit today and needs putting down before he/she can spread their badness. Anyone got a spare ounce of lead? :mad::(:eek::rolleyes:

The installer is the Idiot.
He's installing on behalf of a Landlord so I'm sure when the Landlord gets to hear the boiler is not on the installer won't get paid, job not complete.

Surely it was obvious from the moment the installer arrived that the occupant was blind, so why did he continue if he was never going to complete the job.

Did he warn the tennant or Landord about his actions upon his arrival, if he had either the Tennant or Landlord could have arranged someone to be there at completion.
Why should the Tennant NEED to know how to check the pressure, does he know it's got a leak already?

Is the boiler on now or is it off and he's returning to turn the gas off at the meter?

What if he turned up to service a boiler in a flat with a blind tennant, would he turn the gas off then?

Tennant needs to contact the Landlord, he's paying the installer.
I totally agree with you and will advise the vip...visually impaired person and her housing provider shortly...I will report back and not leave this one hanging
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Advise the blind lady to use the words - that she is “being unfairly discriminated against because of her loss of sight” and is threatened to be without heating or hot water.

It sounds to me the gas installer is up his own backside of his importance and thinks every little rule allows him to turn gas off.
Surely just needed an able sighted person there to learn the operation of boiler and controls and for it to all be put into writing as instruction for any friends or helpers to the ladies home?

Advise the blind lady to use the words - that she is “being unfairly discriminated against because of her loss of sight” and is threatened to be without heating or hot water.

It sounds to me the gas installer is up his own backside of his importance and thinks every little rule allows him to turn gas off.
Surely just needed an able sighted person there to learn the operation of boiler and controls and for it to all be put into writing as instruction for any friends or helpers to the ladies home?

Best PLEASE!! This is KnobsVille 2019, you cannot reasonably expect the application of common sense! Get a grip man, join the legions of f-wits ... :D:D:D

I've set up a poll on Twitter re this plonka! My options are:
Shoot the installer
Knight the installer
Other (comment)

I'll let you all know.

Glad she's sorted Rob. Furthermore, good on YOU for taking up her cause. (Imagine a 'take a bow' emoji)
In fact input from UkPf with the housing association which I screen shot carried plenty of weight which is why they rolled over so quickly..I cannot show her initial email because that would declare her id , not a thing ever to be done
we all take a bow in my opinion
thanks Chking

Seems simple to me being a blind person in a rented property the lady will have a carer or responsible person checking on her each day , they can be shown how to operate the boiler that will satisfy the criteria need . Kop

Seems simple to me being a blind person in a rented property the lady will have a carer or responsible person checking on her each day , they can be shown how to operate the boiler that will satisfy the criteria need . Kop

As well as behaving obnoxiously, it seems to me that the installer and housing association both have a case to answer under the Equality Act (2010) for failing to provide a heating system with the boiler and controls supplemented or modified so it can be operated safely by their blind tennant:

Equality Act 2010 - discrimination and your rights

"If you’re at a substantial disadvantage when compared with someone who isn’t disabled, reasonable changes (‘adjustments’) must be made by your employer or by someone providing goods or services. They may have to change the way things are done, or make changes to a building, or provide aids such as special computer software to help you do your job. Reasonable adjustments can also include providing information in an accessible format. The new law makes it clear that when receiving services you can’t be asked to pay the costs of making these reasonable adjustments."

You definitely don't want to find yourself on the wrong side of a case brought under this piece of legislation. This probably why as soon as someone with a clue at the HA saw what was going on they took action.

Last edited:

Reply to Blind Person needs advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, i was looking for advice on what hive I need to buy. my daughter bought a new build house and she want to switch the existing thermostat control to a hive system. she has a logic system s15 boiler in her kitchen with is linked with a Siemens rwb27si timer under it. she has 2...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone This is my first post here and I hope to hear from some of the experienced plumbers or anyone else in general that has had an issue with plumbing. In October 2018 a plumber came to install full central heating and a unventes cylinder which was zoned to two floors (Basement and...
Replies
Views
VIP ...visually impaired people. My colleague at Henshaws produces info, audio material and videos with sound for blind people, Henshaws are a charity and it all goes out free all over uk and Europe to smaller groups and individuals. He has asked I compile Few subjects with examples of how some...
Replies
Views
Hi! I am looking for advice regarding my CH/HW controls. I have a 1994 Mistral Mia oil boiler providing heat for a radiator system and a hot water tank. The current (old) controls, inc thermostat, are in need of replacement. Currently the CH will only work when the HW is switched on, but the HW...
Replies
Views
Hi all Hoping somebody has come across this problem and can help with constructive advice. History - 11 radiators in system (total volume 350 litres) steel radiators, copper pipework 20-25 years old. Magnaclean filter fitted and power flushed 10 Years ago with new inhibitor - never experienced...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock