Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Big shower tray installs? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

hi guys. I’m looking for advice on fitting bigger trays and whether you guys manage it on your own or not? I know most manufacturers state to use sand and cement but I’m always hearing that it cracks in time? Also I’m fitting a 1500x900 stone resin soon and I’m unsure how I’m gonna move it about in my own lol. It’s a Merlyn truestone tray. All I know is it took 3 guys to get upstairs the other week. Cheers

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

On your own your really going to struggle. 1200x900 stone resin trays are doable on your own but above that they're just to big to handle. If your customer is fit and able I would ask if he/she wouldn't mind helping.

As for setting them, I use a rapid set flexible tile adhesive. I've heard the horror stories of large trays on sand and cement cracking too so I avoid that method. To date I've not had an issue with any tray I've set on tile cement. If your floor is unlevel I use window packers about 100mm in from each corner and place one in the middle. Get them level first then put a generous amount of adhesive everywhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Two men min also bigger trays have more of a defect ratio because the bow more so make sure it’s stored flat else it will be like a banana once you come to fit

Depends on the floor but normally use flexiable tile addy if it’s bang on

4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Well documented on here back in February, I sha**ed my back up shifting a huge tray 1700x900 .
    It cost me the whole of February and a lot of March .
    TWO MEN DEFO

• Like Like x 1
  5. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Well the tray didn’t go in today guys. 72.5kg the bloody thing weighs. Merlyn have stayed they want it on a bed of sand and cement 5/1. What sort of bed do you guys go with? Full coverage with an 8mm notched trowel or just big dabs everywhere? Also do you use packers to make sure things are level before bedding down ? Sorry for all the questions. This is what I’ve got.

33C25BF8-5D54-4A4A-9E39-F697B5B72877.jpeg

6. ShaunCorbs

Floor level both ways ?

7. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I go with lots of dabs, I do it so when the trays down, the dabs compress into each other. The trouble with full coverage with a notching trowel is, if there's a slight bow in the middle of the tray, you'll find the tray won't contact the adhesive. And that's how they crack.

8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Forget the trowel, pva the floor first 3 to 1 .
    Put the tray on the furthest wall lengthways , up against the wall hold it up with a couple of props , then cover 80/90% of the floor in a nice thick layer of sand and cement, use that to level , no packers etc
    Than lower the tray on to the mix and level .

9. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

I don’t believe it is mate. It seems to be higher on the back wall

10. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

A fairly wet mix or slightly dry? Again apologise for the stupid questions. I’ve picked up a short flex for ease with the waste but I’m pondering whether to try and solid pipe it and drop down to it.

11. ShaunCorbs

Need to do blobs/wholebed then but make sure it’s full coverage

12. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Use rapid set flexible tile adhesive, cheapest is fine. Mix some quite stiff and screed it off with a level, using the minimum amount needed to get it right. Then mix up some more a little bit wetter ( not too wet, as test is heavy!) and evenly as you can spread this on top, then using a bricklaying trowel spread it gently out in V shapes ( just like brickies do) - then plonk tray on and wriggle it down to level.
    This sounds harder than it is in reality, much easier to do than to write!
    This results in a solidly bedded level tray with the minimum buildup possible.

The thickness of the ‘wet’ layer is governed by the profile of the underside of the tray - this varies from dead flat to a couple of inches usually.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Thanks for all the advice guys. Going to it tomorrow. It’s a Merlyn tray and they’ve recommended a mix of 5-1. As the customer is a pain I’ll stick it to the MIs and hopefully it goes well

• Like Like x 1
  14. macka09

macka09 Plumber GSR

Finally. The tray is flat on the bottom no indentations or anything but I know the customer will want the tray as low as possible. Is this at more of a risk of the sand and cement cracking with it being a thin bed ??

15. ShaunCorbs

Is it level ?