Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to clean this outside drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
The drain outside my kitchen has got a bit of a blockage and I'm wondering the beset way to clear it.
The drain is I think a standard size width, is about a foot deep and has a much narrower pipe running off at right-angles at the bottom towards the water company's manhole.
There's about 5" of nasty-looking water currently filling the bottom of the drain. It currently doesn't fill up any further though - if you pour extra liquid in, you can hear it rushing into the manhole and the water level doesn't rise.

Do you think this needs clearing? Or is it a trap for water?

The reason I thought it needed clearing is that previously it really has been blocked and overflowing into the garden. Called out the water company to check if it was in their manhole end of things, and he cleared the blockage from the customer's side (i.e. our waste pipes). Once he'd done this, there was no water in the kitchen drain, but I hadn't checked between then and now.

What do you think? Photos attached for set up. 20181104_114341.jpg 20181104_114335.jpg

many thanks,
Rob

It will be trapped

Hi all,
The drain outside my kitchen has got a bit of a blockage and I'm wondering the beset way to clear it.
The drain is I think a standard size width, is about a foot deep and has a much narrower pipe running off at right-angles at the bottom towards the water company's manhole.
There's about 5" of nasty-looking water currently filling the bottom of the drain. It currently doesn't fill up any further though - if you pour extra liquid in, you can hear it rushing into the manhole and the water level doesn't rise.

The reason I thought it needed clearing is that previously it really has been blocked and overflowing into the garden. Called out the water company to check if it was in their manhole end of things, and he cleared the blockage from the customer's side (i.e. our waste pipes). Once he'd done this, there was no water in the kitchen drain, but I hadn't checked between then and now.

What do you think? Photos attached for set up.View attachment 35318 View attachment 35319

many thanks,
Rob
It’s dead easy, get a traditional mop make sure gulley is full of water and plunge away . I get thro many mops each year my Mrs goes ballistic cause I just leave the smelly ones and do not buy new ones. You will be surprised how much traction you can get with a traditional mop ...new types are rubbish
You can do bogs, open manholes if not too deep and push poo etc along dead easy.
Advice is to keep your mouth closed during this operation
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hi all,

What do you think? Photos attached for set up.View attachment 35318 View attachment 35319

many thanks,
Rob
I recently bought a 15 metre long high pressure hose with drain cleaning attachment for my Karcher power washer. Cost me £19.99 on Amazon and blasts its way through blockages.

I recently bought a 15 metre long high pressure hose with drain cleaning attachment for my Karcher power washer. Cost me £19.99 on Amazon and blasts its way through blockages.

But not water regs safe need to feed it from a bucket not mains

I then stuff the end of the power washer down a length of blue water main ,with some gaffer tape to keep a seal , bingo a drain and jetting set up for peanuts

It’s dead easy, get a traditional mop make sure gulley is full of water and plunge away . I get thro many mops each year my Mrs goes ballistic cause I just leave the smelly ones and do not buy new ones. You will be surprised how much traction you can get with a traditional mop ...new types are rubbish
You can do bogs, open manholes if not too deep and push poo etc along dead easy.
Advice is to keep your mouth closed during this operation

I bet I can guess where she would like to stick them mops .

Drain rods with the plunger attachment. Just make sure that the plunger has a metal thread, as i had one that was all rubber and it kept falling off into the gulley.

As Rob said an old style mop makes for an excellent plunger/macerator (keep an old one handy all the time) failing that a set of rods isn't too expensive nowadays if it's a regular occurrence.

Drain rods with the plunger attachment. Just make sure that the plunger has a metal thread, as i had one that was all rubber and it kept falling off into the gulley.
It's quite a tight space though, 6" wide vertical hole and then a right angle into a pipe. Can drain rods fit in that that?

It's quite a tight space though, 6" wide vertical hole and then a right angle into a pipe. Can drain rods fit in that that?
Just poke the mop into the gulley with plenty of water added, the hydraulic action will get it without having the pokevthe mopin too far. If not work come back to us Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to Best way to clean this outside drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock