Search the forum,

Discuss Best adjustable spanner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ih1

Gas Engineer
Some low life nabbed my tool bag out the van while apprentice left it unlocked while tidyin up at a job
had 2 old bahco spanners the ones that where made Sweden in the bag
heard bahcos arnt the quality as the used to be so anyone any recomendations ?

Bahco are still decent though. The wide jaw chromed steel one is excellent.
You could try getting some second hand Swedish older adjustables.
I think some models are still made in Sweden, while many are now from Spain

And I know I go on about it a lot, but I am still admiring my new adjustable parallel jaw Knipex spanner. Works better than ordinary adjustables because it keeps tightening as you push against the tool.
Bit pricey though

Last edited:
After I lost my bahcos I bought a couple of Ox wide jawed adjustables. Very impressed.

And I know I go on about it a lot, but I am still admiring my new adjustable parallel jaw Knipex spanner. Works better than ordinary adjustables because it keeps tightening as you push against the tool.
Bit pricey though

I too like those knipex parellel jaws but i still reach for a 9031 for 15 or 22 stuff. I have both older made in sweden ones and newer ones made in spain. Exactly the same quality in both. Both have the same amount of play in the jaws.

Should have said though, for winding in rad tails on rads in situ i always use the knipex as being able to "racthet" on the flats really makes it much quicker and also less likely to mar the chome plating if its an expensive valve.

what sizes do people normally use for domestic ?

knipex wise/ grips

180mm
250mm
300mm

Bit pricey though
Is that knipex a pump plier type thing ?

what sizes do people normally use for domestic ?

knipex wise/ grips

180mm
250mm
300mm

I like the 180's keep them in my pocket and i use them for locking off m10 nuts when doing any threaded rod work aswell.

No they are normally the cobras or alligators. Were talking about the smooth parrell jaw knipexs. Knipex cobras are great too though.

Edited as i think you mean do they look like pump pliers....which yes they do. Funny looking things.

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg

I too like those knipex parellel jaws but i still reach for a 9031 for 15 or 22 stuff. I have both older made in sweden ones and newer ones made in spain. Exactly the same quality in both. Both have the same amount of play in the jaws.

I have the Bahco 9031 C (it is chromed steel version) made in Spain. Lovely spanner, but I feel the knurled adjustment just isn't as good as the older Swedish versions, of which I have 2.
If I had to only keep one 8" adjustable, I would say my slim body Bahco is the best because it fits in between tight spaces

No they are normally the cobras or alligators. Were talking about the smooth parrell jaw knipexs. Knipex cobras are great too though.

Edited as i think you mean do they look like pump pliers....which yes they do. Funny looking things.
Yes I did. I looked online and thought they were like CK pump pliers until shauncorbs put that photo on. Look like quality !

Yes I did. I looked online and thought they were like CK pump pliers until shauncorbs put that photo on. Look like quality !

get the 400mm version you will never look back unless you got a very big adj spanner

As Tolly has said and in Shaun's picture of one, it does look like a pump plier, but is really a long handle adjustable, but with that clever engineering little bit of the part that pushes the jaws tighter as you push the handles and releases the jaws as you release the pressure, so you can ratchet it. I have the 250mm and am thinking of getting smaller size for general 15mm/22mm plumbing

tbh no about ÂŁ85 with vat

and ÂŁ45 for the grip version

Still a lot just for one spanner. Still, I suppose if it can be used a lot as a preferred tool, it will be worth it. My 250mm Knipex is about ÂŁ50, but I got it for over ÂŁ30, which I thought was a bit of a luxury tbh, especially as it is not a nearly do all sort of tool like a Bahco. But it does some jobs easily, like removing tap glands, so I don't regret buying it.

Still a lot just for one spanner. Still, I suppose if it can be used a lot as a preferred tool, it will be worth it. My 250mm Knipex is about ÂŁ50, but I got it for over ÂŁ30, which I thought was a bit of a luxury tbh, especially as it is not a nearly do all sort of tool like a Bahco. But it does some jobs easily, like removing tap glands, so I don't regret buying it.

yea but how long you had it and is it showing signs of wear ? bet your answer will be long and no :)

yea but how long you had it and is it showing signs of wear ? bet your answer will be long and no :)

Hope you are right! :smile: Certainly my old Bahcos are still good nick. Think one is about 30 year old I guess. (My wide jaw other Bahco is still brand new because I still look after it like a piece of jewellery to admire and rarely bring out)
I don't like some other brands because they feel sore in the hands to use. The little hanging point metal bit at end of handles on other makes just annoy me straight away when I lift them

Ultra slim Bahco great for tight spaces, but don't use on stubborn brass nuts, such as taking apart old stopcock as the thin jaws will bite in and round off the softer brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best adjustable spanner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock