Search the forum,

Discuss Bender problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I've been given an old rothenberger pipe bender from my supervisor at work and it has started rippling the pipe and I was just wondering if there was a way of fixing this?
I've tried tightening the rollers and the formers and I have made sure that the guides are smooth.
If anyone has got any ideas on how to fix this it would be very appreciated.
Cheers, Dave

Try putting a piece of hacksaw blade between the roller and the guide if it pulls cleanly get a new set of Benders.....regards Turnpin:)

Give them back to your supervisor and ask him to pull a bend without rippling the pipe. If he can't do it, tell him he owes you a set of new benders.

its often the bolt that joins the whole lot together needs tightening

Make sure the rollers are tight but not too tight along with any other bolts, clean the rollers, formers and the bender part with wire wool, if it still ripples most likely cheap pipe or benders had it, if you've got some old copper that you've ripped out try bending that and see if it ripples

Thanks everyone for your replies. Ill try some of the things suggested this weekend but I think they may of had it.

If you're messing around with it, take the roller bolts right off and put some grease on them so the rollers... roll... instead of dragging. It makes it more pleasant to use (but I don't think it will solve your problem).

The Benditnow bender as suggested above is pretty good, I'd say better than modern Hilmor. I found my Benditnow hook was a bit rough and marked the pipe (I had to file it a bit) , but other than that, I've been pleased with it.

Last edited:
Just bought an original unused and boxed record 218m off ebay buzzing never thought I'd get a 2nd pair :)

As a short term measure a bit of light oil or WD40 on the former and slide contact surfaces can help. It seems to happen when rather than the pipe "flowing" smoothly as it stretches one side and compresses the other, it repeatedly sticks and frees causing some ripples to form.

Its a shame ermintrude wasnt still about on here - hes full of good tips and also a massive bender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bender problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock