Search the forum,

Discuss Becoming NVQ qualified without doing an apprenticeship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the trade for 15 years now since leaving school but skipped college as it was an hour and a half each way for me. I've worked for my dad ever since but am now wanting my NVQ qualifications more and more.

I spoke with my local college last year who told me the only possible way was to do an apprenticeship, I was considering this until my dads health took a turn for the worse. With me having to work by myself and keep the business running it wouldn't be possible to do an apprenticeship at the moment.

Is there any other way of gaining the NVQ qualification? Surly my 15 years experience has to count for something?!

If you are running a successful and established business (by your own admission), why the need for this nvq? If you are good at what you do, and surely have a good customer base (from your dad's customers), then you should be looking to keep up the good work and even be in a position to 'employ' someone else to join you. You may even be able to use them to get your qualifications if you need them that badly.
I don't think Richard Branson went to any Skool. Even that bloke on TV - Mr Allan Sugar, I doubt he went to Skool either, but they seem to be doing ok.

If you are running a successful and established business (by your own admission), why the need for this nvq? If you are good at what you do, and surely have a good customer base (from your dad's customers), then you should be looking to keep up the good work and even be in a position to 'employ' someone else to join you. You may even be able to use them to get your qualifications if you need them that badly.
I don't think Richard Branson went to any Skool. Even that bloke on TV - Mr Allan Sugar, I doubt he went to Skool either, but they seem to be doing ok.

I see your point and at the moment it's a case of me wanting them than needing them. However, I spoke with somebody from CIPHE yesterday who thinks in the near future being qualified will be compulsory to carry on in this trade. Also many courses require NVQ L2 qualification to sit them, unvented for example (unless thats just at my local college)!

I see your point and at the moment it's a case of me wanting them than needing them. However

I spoke with somebody from CIPHE yesterday who thinks in the near future being qualified will be compulsory to carry on in this trade.

The CIPHE may be right, but there will always be exceptions

dudley college, ÂŁ700 give them a ring. you will only have to go there once

Last edited by a moderator:
i got my nvq 2 on my own jobs after/during my tech cert with a little help from a gas safe friend

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/35127-jib-offering-me-nvq-l2-upgrade.html

This is how i went about it. I already had the 6129 but perhaps they can offer you something.

It was through JTL not JIB. Might be worth getting in touch, they cover the whole country and with your experience you could probably get your folder completed in a week.

Thanks Ash :smile:

JTL looks good and they have a centre only an hour from me. They do state that C&G 6129 is required but i'm sure my 15 years experience will count for something! I'll give them a call tomorrow and update what is said.

I can't really offer any advice on this thread but it is close to something that I've been thinking about for a while now and that is that although I have a C&G craft certificate (From 1982), OFTEC, G3, GSR, Water regs etc, do I have what is needed to register for NVQ3? Ultimately I'd like to do a degree in plumbing and heating but I can't find anything relating to such a thing in this country (UK) so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate them imparting the knowledge to this thread :)

I can't really offer any advice on this thread but it is close to something that I've been thinking about for a while now and that is that although I have a C&G craft certificate (From 1982), OFTEC, G3, GSR, Water regs etc, do I have what is needed to register for NVQ3? Ultimately I'd like to do a degree in plumbing and heating but I can't find anything relating to such a thing in this country (UK) so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate them imparting the knowledge to this thread :)

Assuming you did a craft apprenticeship to achieve a C&G craft certificate, and have collected other qualifications as well, you are well positioned to do NVQ3.

However, you mention that you would like to do a degree in plumbing and you report a lack of provision for this.

The reason for there being no degree in plumbing, is because plumbing plays out at technician level (3-4). Beyond technician level there is professional level associated with plumbing, which involves everything from microbiology, fluid mechanics, public health, retail, manufacturing, research and development etc. Thus, you need to establish why you want the degree in plumbing - status? personal/professional development? different career?

If you decide on study at professional/degree level then you may want to contact your local FE college to organise an access to higher education course rather than doing an NVQ3.

If you decide to continue being a plumber and qualify at NVQ3, then you can take a professional route through membership of a professional body associated with plumbing. Such professional bodies will be able to help you with mentorship, and career progression advice which includes 'status' opportunities through membership of engineering council.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming NVQ qualified without doing an apprenticeship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock