Search the forum,

Discuss Becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

I noticed there is more and more people wanting to be plumbers and wanted to share my experience to point people to this and see how hard it really is.......

I started at 21 and found it hard to get an apprenticeship, I went alone and struggle very much, not only do I have to learn every day but also have to do accounts, advertising, ordering, tax and a whole lot more.

I get up at 7.30am and finnish work at 5-6pm (on a good day) then am sat on a computer for 2-3 hours.

I get a lot of call backs and do not get paid for these, I do my best but there is no way I am as good as many in my area.

Plumbers always complain that "Fast track Plumber" are ruining this business but it is true, every good plumber I know spent 5 years learning the basics from another plumber, this includes how to get yourself out of the poop when the poop hits the fan, the sort of things that are asked on here every day like using paste, using plumbers mait, using ptfe, sealing iron fittings etc, soldering pipes with water in them, soldering upright pipes and so so much more.

Now recently I started working for a bloke and have seen the difference between there work and mine and there soldering is a work of art, no snots, no leaks, done in seconds. there language is so much better, I look at a valve and can not remember what it is called or how it works, they instantly know the name and how to adjust it or wether you have to replace it.
These are all things that can not be self taught, can not be bought for money or taught at training centres.

If I knew what I know now, I would never of become a plumber without the full apprenticeship.

So My advice for Anybody wanting to become a plumber, change job or learn a new trade is "GET AN APPRENTICESHIP" spend a minimum of 3 years getting paid very little for training before you even touch a pipe, learn peoperly. anybody thinking that they will be rich the day after they pass will be wrong, amazingly wrong.

Do not think that you are better then most, quicker learner then most, will be better then most, because there is so much to learn you will never know everything and it is not a case of being better then everyone else, it is a case of spending time learning techniques and predicting what will happen before it does.

And if you think it will be great money it wont, £30,000 (buckinghamshire area, less if further from london) a year is a rough plumbers wage, which sounds great but this is for crawling through little spaces, being on your knees all day, burning down customers houses, flooding customers houses, getting wet, getting covered in carp, long hours, too many jobs in one day, no time for family and even less if you have to do 24 hour call outs.

And consider the biggest thing of all, if you mess up on gas/ unvented, you will kill someone.

Money is better if you go self emploed but then you have to take out van, insurance, advertising etc and further more, you will spend 3-5 years making a lot less then that.

It can be a very rewarding job, especially when doing family jobs as it can really get you talking to in-laws and family to help them out and do them favours, but can also cause problems with family who want something for nothing. It can also be very rewarding when things look good and customer is happy.

But if you are in a job earning a good wage and the chance of promotion and a family that rely on your money then stick with it, it aint worth the grief.

however if you are 16-18, living with parents, single, able to earn nothing for 5 years then apply to plumbers and get the experience before going to college/ training centre, get the experience before the training and the training will be easy for you.

Hope this helps

This has never been an easy trade to learn Jase. It is probably the hardest of all trades to get right but people are blinded by the media that plumbers/gas men make major money as if it is attendance money. A few (and only a very few) plumbers make excellent money. The employed guys on 60k+/yr are not getting their money for nothing. They are the top 1% of the trade and doing a workload most could never imagine.

Now you are working with someone day to day your education will take off. Stick in at it and soak up the knowledge but it takes years to learn.

Nice post Jase but you forgot to mention that when you've finally got everything cracked your body gives out on you. I've been in the game 31 years now and I'm still learning stuff.

The biggest lesson I've learnt over the years is to make time for your family. It took me 25 years to work out what I was missing by working every Saturday and late most evenings. I didn't even get much time on a Sunday because I would fall asleep on the sofa for most of the day because I was shattered from the previous week.

Good post. Apprentiships are the only way IMO. Don't agree with the working for family members comment though, worst jobs IMO!

I think the worrying thing is that you state that you were getting a lot of call backs, did this not tell you that you are not ready to work on your own? When I was plumbing I used to get 1 maybe 2 callbacks per year normally due to the customers changing there mind rather than a fault with the plumbing. This is not because I am fantastic but it is because I study every details of jobs and work out how things work, so you know what could go wrong and put it right quickly. I was probably slower than some other plumbers but I had many very loyal customers.

Mark.

I note your comments are past tense - why are you not still in the trade ?

I note your comments are past tense - why are you not still in the trade ?

I ran my plumbing business when I lived in Sussex, England. I have since moved to Wales and I am currently in the processes of trying to restart the business by also gaining a gas qualification, then maybe Oftec.

It is a great business where you are learning something new all the time but despite what people think it is certainly not easy money.

I think the worrying thing is that you state that you were getting a lot of call backs, did this not tell you that you are not ready to work on your own? When I was plumbing I used to get 1 maybe 2 callbacks per year normally due to the customers changing there mind rather than a fault with the plumbing. This is not because I am fantastic but it is because I study every details of jobs and work out how things work, so you know what could go wrong and put it right quickly. I was probably slower than some other plumbers but I had many very loyal customers.

Mark.

Yes but what else can you do, when you have spent loads of money and time doing something, you cant just give up on it.

Mark.

And as much as I would like to believe this, I know it aint true, all plumbers get call backs, there is no plumber out there who doesnt, sometimes things leak after the job has finnished, sometimes the user kicks it or pushes it hard (but they will never admit it), sometimes things air lock even though you run tap for 20 mins and sometimes they dont listen to your advice that you tell them 3-4 times and call you back saying that it is your fault. I do get a high number of callbacks but no plumber will get no call backs at all, just not possible.

Good post. Apprentiships are the only way IMO. Don't agree with the working for family members comment though, worst jobs IMO!

I get quite a lot of satisfaction out of it as it is getting to know family and you know they will need you well before you need them, (especially as my in laws are funeral directors, lol)

I think the worrying thing is that you state that you were getting a lot of call backs, did this not tell you that you are not ready to work on your own?

With respect mate I don't think it's fair to criticise jase after he's made such an honest post
The whole point of the thread was an acknowledgment that he hadn't acquired the skills he thought he had. A lot of people think they can dive into the trade and their conscientiousness and drive will see them through. You and I know it's not enough and jase admits he knows it too.

Good post Jase. Keep at it and work within your limits.

I bet you dont get many callbacks in that job.........recomendations must be limited aswell..........something along the lines of "I went to a crackin funaral last week, undertaker put on a right proper show"

Jase158,
I had very few call backs, as I said I only got 1 or 2 a year, as well as being careful and cautious I probably got fewer than some people because most of the jobs I did were slightly larger jobs so I could keep an eye on anything that I suspect may leak, I did most of my work for property developers and building companies so did not do that many small repairs (which can be more of a problem).

Hybrid
I may have been a bit harsh with my reply, I just wanted to get across that this job is not as simply as everyone seems to think and if you are in over your head then you should not just carry on, as it tarnishes the reputation for all plumbers. No offence intended.

Last edited:
Jase158,
I had very few call backs, as I said I only got 1 or 2 a year, as well as being careful and cautious I probably got fewer than some people because most of the jobs I did were slightly larger jobs so I could keep an eye on anything that I suspect may leak, I did most of my work for property developers and building companies so did not do that many small repairs (which can be more of a problem).

Hybrid
I may have been a bit harsh with my reply, I just wanted to get across that this job is not as simply as everyone seems to think and if you are in over your head then you should not just carry on, as it tarnishes the reputation for all plumbers. No offence intended.

ok fair play, agree with everything you say, maintenance is a lot harder as you are there for an hour and most people dont want you standing around for an hour to wait and see if anything leaks but time served plumbers know how to do it right first time.
And as for your second comment, just imagine how bad people are that have come from an office job, paid thousands and suddenly going into plumbing!! at least I had building experience so know a bit about construction and had help from a plumber, but some people go straight in from mcdonalds i.e. and although I hate to admit it, people expect proffessionals when they call a plumber and I can not call myself proffessional.

You wouldnt trust an untrained doctor would you?

You wouldnt trust an untrained doctor would you?

Ah but would you ask him?
I do work for a retired doctor and this has come up in conversation a few times. His way of looking at it is if you are ever in for an operation ask the surgeon how much experience he has at this and what his success rate is.
He said they won't like it but you are well within your rights to ask and request another surgeon if you like.

The man who never made a mistake never made anything. This is true for Plumbing or any job. The trick is not repeating the mistake.

I agree, but I think the trick is to notice and correct your mistakes before the customer sees them:teeth_smile:

time served plumbers know how to do it right first time.[/QUOTE said:
Everyone gets bad days, but experience gives you the knowledge to know if a problem is likely and the skills to know how to solve it quickly and cleanly. These are things that a course will never teach.

As long as most of your customers are happy with the work you are doing, then just take it slow and double check all your joints.

Do not worry about the customer wanting you out of the house as quick as possible, all the customer wants is the job done correctly at a fair price. I would suggest that on smaller jobs you give the customer a fixed price, so they will not be worrying about how much it is going to cost and you can relax and do a proper job.

What is the main thing you have problems with? Maybe we can help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have quite a few plumbers in the family and wondering what to get them as gifts (men ages 35-45), bit random but do plumbers like copper jewellery/copper bracelets or is that bit of a stereotype.
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools transport etc. good day rates paid. potential for more work after this job. please get in touch. Regards Alex
Replies
Views
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024 FROM PLUMBERS FORUMS! Do you have any new year resolutions? I'm thinking:- Get Fitter (give it 30 days) Drive slower (couple of days)
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock