Search the forum,

Discuss Becoming a plumber/gas engineer. Need advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickyricky

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but need some advice.
I am 25 years of age, and live in the Midlands.
I have no experience in plumbing at all.

The end goal is to become a Gas Safe engineer, but I am looking to do a level 2 NVQ in plumbing at a training centre. Ideally I would like to be employed by a company after completing my ACS.

I cant do an apprenticeship as I'm currently working full time, and will be doing these courses on a weekend.

Could somebody please advise what would be the best route to go down? I have read into it but am very unsure.

Thanks

The nay Sayers will be out but I say good luck & all the best.

Night college courses are something to look into.

Try to get working in the trades & learn.

Again, all the best.

The nay Sayers will be out but I say good luck & all the best.

Night college courses are something to look into.

Try to get working in the trades & learn.

Again, all the best.

Thank you!
Do you think that is the best route? Because I have also seen that people do level 1 and then a gas course. But I've heard it's best to do level 2 nvq

Becoming a gas safe engineer

Hi

I am looking to become a Gas Safe engineer, preferable working for a company on a salary rather than being self employed.
I have no experience at all in this trade as I come from a manufacturing background.
What is the best route to go down?
Mom thinking level 2 NVQ in plumbing and then a gas foundation course followed by ACS?

I would much appreciate some advice from a professional.

Thank you

You need to research what's best for you.

Only advise & suggestions in here.

You make the decision

Check it's the nvq, most training centres as opposed to colleges only offer the diploma as the nvq needs work placements. Really look into it before parting with your cash, make sure your getting what you think your getting and good luck

If you want it and are prepared to work for it, then best of luck to you.

I would try very very hard to get in with a local plumber to get experience on weekends, days off, annual leave etc. You won't be able to complete an NVQ without a portfolio of onsite evidence. That is the most important part.

Re: Becoming a gas safe engineer

Ever thought about applying to British gas? Sure they do their own apprentaship schemes but I could be wrong. Best route is NVQ level 2 then 3 for your gas but it's a long route where finances will probably be stretched.

I dont want to hijack someone elses thread but I also have a question to ask. I am currently doing Level 1 plumbing, on a 1 year evening course.

My Dad is a self employed gas engineer, he just does the gas and no plumbing.

My original plan was to do level 1 plumbing, then level 2 plumbing, then level 3 gas, taking as I am sure you all know 4 years.

I am now considering finishing my level 1 and then doing one of the intensive gas courses next September. Doing 5 weeks practical training, then doing a portfolio of work with my Dad before doing my ACS.

I know there are people who dislike these courses and you get a lot of people come out of these courses with a qualification but no actual real life experience and can be a danger when doing gas work.

The difference for me would be I would have done my ACS but I would not be going solo. I would continue working with my Dad and learning from him, with the plan to take over his customer base when he retires in 5 or 6 years time. Plus my Dad will have someone who has a decent understanding working with him and being able to give him help.

Do you think this is a good idea?

I think it will be due to the fact that I will continue my learning under my Dad for years after but I can go work with him sooner as I more use to him.

I dont want to hijack someone elses thread but I also have a question to ask. I am currently doing Level 1 plumbing, on a 1 year evening course.

My Dad is a self employed gas engineer, he just does the gas and no plumbing.

My original plan was to do level 1 plumbing, then level 2 plumbing, then level 3 gas, taking as I am sure you all know 4 years.

I am now considering finishing my level 1 and then doing one of the intensive gas courses next September. Doing 5 weeks practical training, then doing a portfolio of work with my Dad before doing my ACS.

I know there are people who dislike these courses and you get a lot of people come out of these courses with a qualification but no actual real life experience and can be a danger when doing gas work.

The difference for me would be I would have done my ACS but I would not be going solo. I would continue working with my Dad and learning from him, with the plan to take over his customer base when he retires in 5 or 6 years time. Plus my Dad will have someone who has a decent understanding working with him and being able to give him help.

Do you think this is a good idea?

I think it will be due to the fact that I will continue my learning under my Dad for years after but I can go work with him sooner as I more use to him.

your in a lucky position! Intensive courses aren't bad per say they can work and do work and produce gas engineers who are entirely competent. (A lot of this is due to the hard work of the candidate however) the problem for most people is finding the actual work placement as a lot of training centres don't offer this. Since this is solved for you I say go for it, like anything there are good centres and bad ones so research first.

jeronimo 88,your thoughtful,mature post contained 2 good routes.The 4 year course would obviously give a wider range of knowledge and choice of work.However your other choice contains what most people on here do not have and which expensive courses do not give,a guaranteed work placement.Even better it is with someone you should be able to get on with,your Dad!Finally a future source of work.I hope it works well for you and that plumbing turns out to be a career you enjoy.
Scott_1979 has made good comments to you and OP.

Thank you Scott_1979 and A1P.

Thanks for for your very helpful advice, I know I am in a lucky position and feel doing the intensive course is the way forward for me!

The bit in bold does it for me :)
I did do a 'Gas Engineer' course at the age of 55, but I had a good few years of general plumbing, including gas (That's another story), a degree in fine art, and a post graduate degree in teaching. It was still damned hard work though.
I'm now self employed and working 7 days a week - I only wanted to work 3 :) - still, can't complain because I'm enjoying myself most of the time.
If you've got your Dad to guide you then great, at least you'll gain some valuable experience without the pitfalls of having to work it out for yourself.

I really admire anyone who gets a Gas Safe qualification, through whatever means, because no matter how you do it, it takes determination, mental stamina, commitment, and of course - cash.

Good luck

A bit late but thanks for the reply Robert.

These courses will invariably split opinions but hopefully it will be of use to me in my drive ti become a gas engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming a plumber/gas engineer. Need advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock