Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Be Carefull with solvent Glue in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

One of my boys blew himself up,last night, and is in a burns unit for a few days, he will recover. It was not a gas bang , he had an open solvent glue tub open adjacent to,the boiler which he had the casing off, it fired on we think ignited the fumes from the glue pot and
    He is where he is now ,glue exploded uck ..anyway that’s what we think
    Questions are many....we will find out, answers are be aware in this area of installation etc.
    Rob Foster aka centralheatking

2. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

That's brutal, hope he's ok and doesn't have much long term problems from this. Its really easy to get complacent and forget how dangerous some of these products can be, same as with PPE.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That's why it says keep away from open flames and use in well ventilated places

• Like Like x 1
  4. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

The boiler set the pot of glue on fire?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Very nasty that bud hope he makes a speedy recovery . Kop

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Open flame and solvent vapours

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rob Foster

We think/know he had the casing off the boiler and was setting up a solvent weld glue joint,with the top off the glue pot ,the boiler fired up,the fumes ignited and the pot exploded ,a bit like napalm , we are not really sure he is a bit shocked. He will be ok

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rob Foster

I will report back in due course
    About his condition and recovery Centralheatking

9. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

I set my tool bag on fire once. had dropped some glue inside the bag and then got my torches flame close to the bag and whoosh the inside of the bag went up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hope he mends well.

There are many things we overlook in our trade. I know someone who suffered in a similar way due to the ignition of fumes/vapour from curing expanding foam. This vapour was still present some 24 hours following the use of the foam.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

Must admit would never have thought expanding foam fumes could be dangerous for so long! Does also make you wander what breathing in these fumes on a regular basis does to our lungs!

12. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Blimey! Hope he's okay Rob. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob Foster

Update, it’s mainly his hands and one thigh, he will be out for 3 months but should make a full recovery I will not post the graphic pictures Rob Foster aka centralheatking

14. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

That's grim, serious burns are horribly painful to heal and 3mnths of recovery is a very long time not to be able to work, best of luck to him on his recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob Foster

We will look after him while he cannot work Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Like Like x 1