Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss bay window radiator question in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. selondonman

selondonman New Member

hello i have a room with a bay window and currently has a single panel curved radiator .. the room is too cold in winter so looking for a replacement

the curved double radiators i have seen seen are very pricey.. i was quoted over £500 to curve a double radiator

as the bay is nearly totally covered by a couch .. is there are practical reason why i couldn't put a straight radiator in .. obviously the pipes values are set for a curve and will need to be changed ..

if the bay is 2m wide would the straight rad need some support either wall or floor in the middle ?

thoughts

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No perfectly fine aslong as you size it correctly

But covering it with a sofa won't help

Are your windows tight eg there not leaking / double glazed ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. selondonman

selondonman New Member

thanks for reply

windows are double glazed .. dont have much choice re sofa position .. thus trying to find a powerful radiator to try and get over position issues

it might be easier just to get an upright ceramic heater for the colder nights .

4. leelister6

leelister6 Plumber GSR

5. johnduffell

johnduffell Member

Why not move the rad somewhere with a clear wall? Or fit several low output wide rads if you're doing it yourself.
    We did the latter and it's not quite under floor heating but it's a very even heat compared with the old double convector by the window.

6. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

You could put a series of (say) 3 or 5 smaller (narrower) radiators close to the contour of the bay. Link these top and bottom, with valves only on the outside ones and you've got the equivalent of a curved radiator. Would need some skill with a pipe bender to make up 22mm curved joining pieces, each with a 22mm compression / 1/2" bsp male iron on each end.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Bit messy for me that one. Cannot beat one continual radiator.

• Like Like x 2
  8. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

Just get a nice new single panel rad, lay it between 2 chairs and jump on it

Curved rad sorted :D:D o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Michael1960

Michael1960 Plumber

Or get one delivered from a well known on line supplier! They usually come ready shaped

• Funny Funny x 2