Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bathroom waste pipes in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted Member

I want to convert an unused bedroom into a second bathroom. It's convenient because the soil pipe is right outside this room. It's a large room. so I want to have a toilet, bidet, sink, bath and shower cubicle.

The first plumber who I spoke to emphasised the need to have a separate waste pipe for the shower, in order to prevent water backing up from the sink or bath in the event of a blockage. I spoke to another plumber yesterday who said a single waste pipe will be fine so long as it is 2 inches.

Who is correct? and are there any regulations on this?

2. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

2 inch better also remember a new bathroom is notifiable

3. Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean a 2 inch single pipe is better?

4. Riley

Depends on your space available but 2 inch will suffice.

5. Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted Member

Plenty of space available and the joists are running the correct way towards the wall where the soil pipe is. I just want to be sure that a single waste pipe is sufficient. My next door neighbour has two 32mm waste pipes exiting the bathroom into the soil pipe. One for the sink and one for the shower.

6. Riley

Shower should be minimum 40mm. As said it’s enturely up to you. In my view 2 inch will suffice. If you want to eliminate any risk of backing up then run two pipes

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

2" is cheaper, but personally I'd do them separately and ALWAYS is properly supported solvent weld with access tees for clearing out.
    Plan for the worst and it never happens. Hope for the best and be bitterly disappointed...

• Like Like x 1
  8. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Run them separately is the best way cheers kop

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

Bedroom to bathroom hmmm joist issue here with the extra weight.
    Building control may want to nose on this

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Riley

DID say it’ll need notification

11. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

As KoP says, two pipe runs is better. I would only combine them if there was no other alternative for a separate shower waste run. If you've got the space and route, always go for a separate pipe. There's nothing really to be gained by running a shared pipe other than if space is a real problem.