1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Bathroom Questions - New Install in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Julian Such

Julian Such Member

Hi, I am putting in two new bathrooms and have done some research but have a couple of newbie questions which I hope someone can answer.

1. Carronite, am I just paying for a brand or are they as good as people make out or do all reinforced baths do a similar job?
    2. looking for a decent 1200 x 910 (or thereabouts) quadrant shower but cant quite stretch to a Kudos Infinite, any suggestions?
    3. Looking to put in underfloor heating, probably electric, any suggestions for a starting point?
    4. Any thoughts on a Rimless WC?
    Thanks

Jools

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

IMO
    1 . yes good but most will be as good.
    2. Not a lover of quad showers , or any that involve , runners , door seals etc etc , could you do a walk - in
    3. Expensive, lol .
    4 . Rimless wc’s , great . Lovely and easy to clean .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

1. Are you showering in the bath, if yes then get a reinforced one.
    2. 1200 x 900 go for a 6mm glass.
    3. Warm up.
    4. Fitting my first one this week. TBA.

4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above for me.

5. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

I've fitted 2 or 3 Carronite (shower bath in a previous house I owned, v g quality).
    Recently installed 1200 x 900 Crosswater glass cubicle, it was an absolute nightmare, MI's were rubbish (even offered to rewrite them for them!!:D) so steer clear of that brand.
    Better to go for wet-room IMO, as Townfanjon said already, if you can.
    Ambient-elec
    Can't comment - but yes v easy to keep clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Electric underfloor heating can be extremely expensive .. if you expect to hear the room and this won’t really help with reducing condensation.

Decent extractor fans are a must imho ..

7. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Carronite are good, really solid heavy bath but to be honest, so is the standard carron baths so personally I'd save a little money and go for the standard version.

To be honest, I don't rate the kudos infinite, yes it looks great when First installed but after a few years of use, all the seals turn yellow and because you have seals round the base of each glass panel, it can soon look a mess. The Sommer 8 is a nice quadrant screen, it isn't frameless like the infinite but still a nice screen. As above though, in terms of future maintenance, you can't go wrong with a walk in, if you have the space of course.

Underfloor heating, we use Warmup, it works, can't really say much more for electric underfloor heating really.

Yes for the rimless toilet, function is no different really, but much easier for cleaning.

8. Julian Such

Julian Such Member

Thanks all, a little rejigging and we may be able to fit a walk in tray and screen instead. So any recommendations on a 1500 x 800 tray?

9. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

10. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have started to move over to JT trays , expensive, available at plumb centers . Defo go non slip.
    Factor in some glass support bars , if you have a local glass place , it may work out cheaper to get your glass from them.

11. Julian Such

Julian Such Member

12. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

On the tray edges that your going to tile or showerboard over there's a little 15-20mm upstand built into the tray, this upstand goes behind the tile/board and just gives a little extra protection should the silicone ever fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. EvilDrPorkChop

EvilDrPorkChop GSR

Didn't realise MX did ones with upstands, useful to know. Matki do some with them too.

Fitted a few MX trays and they've all been good. Had one bowed though but merchant hadn't stored it right and with it being an 1800. Well you can imagine what happened.

14. Julian Such

Julian Such Member

MX seems the one but make lots of different trays, can I go wrong with elements?

15. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR

Had a few come cracked myself, always replaced without hassle and you can pretty much guarantee it's been cracked in transit and nothing to do with manufacturing.