Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bathroom installation skills in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Shashank Kapoor

Shashank Kapoor New Member

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so please accept my apologies if I have not followed any protocol.

Currently I have no knowledge of plumbing, but I am keen to learn and my intention is to gain skills and be able to install/ renovate my own bathroom. I have read few posts about Access Training and Able Skills trainings but not sure which way to go forward. For me certificate is not important but practical training is. I would really appreciate if anybody can advise on suitable training to learn the skills.

PS: Based in Banbury

Thank you,
    Kind Regards,

Shashank

2. WC1

WC1 Member

Hi Shashank. There isn't a simple answer to what you ask. I'd humbly suggest a bit more research and get a clearer idea of what you might want to do. Bits of paper (certificates) are not too hard to come by but as you will read on this forum it is the practical experience that is harder to find. Best of luck and don't be afraid to have a go (if it's your own place and you're not breaking the law, ie. gas regs etc) you sometimes learn best from getting things wrong!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Good luck on the bathroom fit.

4. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

Personally I think you'd learn more by spending a week watching decent tutorials on youtube than you would from the vast majority of "training" centres out there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Top Contributor!!

I think that’s what the training centre guys do, but when they get to work the can’t remember all of it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WC1

WC1 Member

Not much you can't learn off youtube...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ben-gee

My son got himself up to grade 8 drumming almost exclusively from utube. Luckily some people are very generous with their skills and knowledge ( or a bunch of show offs like us lot on here )

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. WC1

WC1 Member

Grade 8 drumming... Bang on !! :cool:

9. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Member

Youtube is great for learning new skills tbf, its possible to do it from reading text books/instructions man, but there's nothing
    That's impressive, it's not easy getting up to grade 8, sounds like he must have a natural talent for it too too.

10. gmartine

gmartine GSR

@Ben-gee@Ben-gee

Hope he had practice pads or you have long distance shed.

11. DuncanM

DuncanM Plumber GSR

For your own house don't even think of gaining qualifications that some of these providers hand out, most actually mean nothing in the field. Just make sure you fit isolators before everything like taps. Leave a small decline on all waste pipework. clip every pipe every 1m approx. Silicone everywhere. Use plastic pipe, if you must, as its idiot proof and pretty reliable. Check water pressure and flow before buying taps showers etc. Buy a couple of levels small, medium and large. Come on here and ask as many questions as you want!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Spend the money on a recommended installer.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ben-gee

He has definite musicality, at 17 he has grade 8 violin, saxophone, drums and grade 7 piano - ridiculous I know.
    No pads just a real kit! Sounds great now, not so much to start with!

• Like Like x 1