Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bath waste drain in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Roy

Roy New Member

Hi all
    Looking for possible advice.
    I recently bought a 12/13 year old 3 story semi detached.
    In the living room below where the bath is in the bathroom there was a patch where it looked like there had been a leak.
    Firstly the sealant around the bath isn't very good and there are signs underneath of water getting through.
    So that will be one job easily sorted.
    Looking under the bath at the waste end it looks like the trap/waste has been replaced.
    I'm not a plumber and I may be wrong but should it go down and then up and over?
    The water does take a while to go down but have not used the bath properly with hot water as we have a ensuite.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Roy
    20180812_102903.jpg

2. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

That does go down and then up, it's fitted properly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roy

Roy New Member

Ok thanks JCplumb
    Just wanted to make sure before it gets used regularly.
    Maybe just check the trap is clean and hopefully that's it.

4. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Also check if there is any downwards movement on the top edge of bath by pushing down around the top with your hands. If there is movement, then silicone joint might pull away from bath or tiles easily and cause a leak.
    Ideally the plastic baths should have the top edge supported or even just glued to wall to prevent movement

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Roy

Roy New Member

Thanks Best
    The sealant does need doing it has a plastic bead around the bath with sealant holding it in .
    We a tiny bit holding it and a gap in the corner.
    But I will do that no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Support is best in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Yes, a timber baton screwed to wall is my preferred method. Surprised though how good a job sometimes just glueing bath to wall using silcone can be.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Always much harder to remove and takes the wall with it:p:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I may have mentioned this before, but I installed a bath which was replacing an old bath, but perfect wall tiles remaining. I used silcone (not my usual install method) which allowed me to temporarily wedge the gap to tiles to maintain approx a 3mm joint when silicone set hard.
    Struggled to remove that same bath years later after tenant dropped something on it. Cut it in bits and the short parts of rear edge just stayed solid.
    Really surprising the grip silicone has if the wall finish is suitable

• Funny Funny x 1