Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bath/shower wall panels in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. ***Tom11***

***Tom11*** New Member

Whats people experiences with bath/shower panels ?
    Looking to replace the tiles around the bath with possibly panels.
    Opinions on WPB laminated boards such as mermaid or 10mm PVC panels ?
    Any good places to source materials from ?
    Any other tips etc when installing them?
    Ive seen installations where the bottom trim has been used and panels sit on it and i have seen some where panels have been sat straight on bath and silicone bead around bottom.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I know some will disagree but I don't rate the ply backed boards like mermaid. They're fine for installation etc but I've been called to alot of installs where the customer hasn't kept on top of the sealant. The ply absorbs water then the decorative face has either bobbled or delaminated.

I use the nuance shower panels by bushboard, not the cheapest but they are fully water proof and come in designs to suit any taste.

The 10mm pvc boards are ok, but easy to damage.

One thing I will say is absolutely avoid the 4/5mm acrylic shower panels such as lustrolite, they are so flimsy and brittle they are next to impossible to work with without damaging them. We installed them recently, we followed the installation instructions to the letter and they lasted a week. We're now pulling the shower area apart and tiling it instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  3. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Personally I like em bud but as Craig has said they need to be fitted properly I would not do a whole room in them again it works out quite expensive. Kop

4. ***Tom11***

***Tom11*** New Member

Cheer both. Had a look at the Nuance ones, shame they dont do a 8 or 900 panel to save having a join for a bath or smaller shower sizes.. the debate continues...

5. robdog6000

robdog6000 New Member

I have fitted a few Mermaid panels in showers. Seemed pretty good and looked smart. Less joints to leak compared to tiles but not without problems. I went to one install where the panels had been fitted onto battens. The battens were spaced too far from the internal corners in a shower. The panels flexed and the seals failed. I ended up taking it all out and called a tiler in.

6. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yeah they only do 1200 or 600 panels but obviously a 1200 can be cut down to suit what you require.