Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bath Panel Cut to size. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Valiant87

Valiant87 New Member

I've changed some old bath taps on my bath but to actually get to them I have basically had to smash the old panel off as it was that boxed in and tight there was no other option, the size I need will be 530mm x 1660mm, I don't want to have a mdf panel, Would a reinforced plastic panel be the best option and if so what is the best way to cut it to size?

Thanks

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You can buy a universal bath panel what you would obviously have to cut to fit , theres re- enforced panels available , they are only plastic but have a inner skin of ribbed plastic . You would ideally cut them with a fine toothed jigsaw or a multi cutter . Quite a easy job , just take your time .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DuncanM

DuncanM Plumber GSR

Do not buy a cheap cheap one, it will snap and break as you cut it. Or get some ply and make one out of that and some skirting board.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steve weightman

Steve weightman GSR

You might find it difficult getting a panel most tend to be 510 high

5. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Plastic ones are quite often 1700mm x 510/520mm or as suggested make one from plywood, however in both cases may need a skirting board piece over the top.

6. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I find plastic bath panels very poor, easily damaged during fitting and too fragile even when well fitted. They look and are cheap IMHO. I prefer using the wall lining panels which you fit and tile over around shower. Then tile or finish it to own satisfaction, fitting up into rebate behind bath lip. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

7. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

I like the mdf panels, b&q do a nice thick sturdy white wrapped one for about £70, it comes in 2 parts, a large panel and a smaller strip making it adjustable for easy fitting. Just remember to seal up and cuts you make and it’s a job well done imo

• Like Like x 1
  8. RayW

RayW New Member

I was in this position. I carefully measured up and set of to B&Q for a replacement. I looked and looked and looked, good choice from £20 to £70 for a front panel,but all would have required cutting to fit and would have been unsightly. I gave up and started to leave, then walked past some white faced hardboard sheets, 5 minutes later cut to exact size by nice man with the sawing jig ,result. £8. And that panel has lasted longer than the original moulded plastic.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Get a “600” sheet of mermaid wallboard. It is 11mm thick and actually 585 x 2400. Comes in loads of colours but usually gloss white is required , 4 of those nice 2-part domed screw snap covers and job done- that stuff is tuff.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Valiant87

Valiant87 New Member

Thanks for all the replies, didn't want spend too much on it as be moving soon just had to get the bath taps changed, will prob try get the same as ray w above

11. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Cheapskate!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1