Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Basin mixer tap with pushfit flexi tails in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. John Massey

John Massey New Member

Hi

I need to buy about 20 mono basin mixer taps to connect to 15mm plastic pipes. I can't find any that come with pushfit tails which means either throwing away all the tails to buy pushfit tails or buying adaptors which seem to be as expensive as new tails.

Do you know of any cheap contract taps that come with pushfit tails or cheap adaptors please?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Nope

Why do you need push fit ends just use a compression insert

3. John Massey

John Massey New Member

What do you mean by compression insert? I've used olives on plastic pipe before and after time they leak due to plastic deformation.

4. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Well you aren’t doing it properly then!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

To use compression on plastic the plastic needs to have an insert.

6. John Massey

John Massey New Member

Well actually it was done by the builder. But any tips for a proper job please?
    Is a compression insert the alloy or plastic sleeve that goes inside the pipe?

7. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

To be honest plastic needs an insert whatever the fitting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Depends what pipe it is.

9. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

No offence, if you’re being paid to fit 20 taps you ought to know what you’re doing. If you’re not fitting them, leave this aspect up to the plumber and don’t worry about it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

What manufacturer of pipe is it ?

11. John Massey

John Massey New Member

It's Hep2O but I've used Speedfit connectors a lot and they seem fine. Speedfit manufacture a coupling (male 1/2 BSP-15mm) but very few people seem to stock it.

12. ShaunCorbs

Buy the hep insert the metal one then you can use a comp fitting

Or use the hep insert with the speedfit 15-1/2 and find taps with 1/2 flexis

13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

And make sure to use copper olives on plastic pipes, not brass.

14. John Massey

John Massey New Member

Thanks. I thought all olives were brass. I live and learn.

15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

You get brass or copper olives and brass compression fittings and valves can come with either type.
    Brass is good on metal pipes, but copper olives must be used on plastic pipe because being softer it seal well or you risk the joint weeping