Search the forum,

Discuss Basic tools and which are best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 main tools you'll use are grips and an adjustable spanner.. get decent ones (bahco). I use these every day, among other bits. I'm fairly new to it too mate and I went a tad overboard on the tool buying.. get yourself a decent pocket torch also, you'll be lost without one. Oh and a stubby flat head for isolation valves. A volt pen to test for current in cables. Oh those little 4" bahco adjustable spanners are blooming handy.. rad bleed key, pencil, tape measure, ptfe... apart from the grips and big adjustables I keep all this in my work trouser pockets haha

Any hose pipe will do, just get one that's long enough and make sure you coil it up so it dosnt kink oh and a handful of jubilee clips too
I find the green chequered hose pipe the best. It fits tight on the drain offs and no need for jubilee clips.. think I got mine from gleebay for about £10

Agree with you on a small adjus. spanner, got the Monument one and it's always in my pocket. So useful for shutting off rad valves, undoing drain offs, getting into tight spots on boilers and under sinks, has got quite pointed tips as well so is handy for persuading out old painted-in bleed valves.

What allen key sets and sizes do yous carry all the time.
And also torx.
Think the last logic+ had a t10 torx on p1.
What a faff.

Any recommended sets to replace my basic old allen key set

Wera sets are expensive but probably last a life time I like that they have a simple holder that keeps them from getting lost and are color coded so you can find the all important 5mn quickly.

maybe not needed now if your just stating out . but later you will need a decent wet and dry vac.

Purchased that recently, not sure how long it will last but its doing a good job atm plus you can unscrew a cap at the bottom to release the water
I wish I bagged one, I think I'm gonna be lumbered with replacing a saniplus which is full of bodily waste - so is the toilet.. coulda just sucked it up and thrown it out at that price :/

Nice 1/4 drive set on a rail £14 sealy ones from flee bay or £5 from machine mart

The lidl wetvac is the same as the wickes one just a different colour, wickes one is in blue and an extra fiver.

Plumben is bang on! Ive learnt two important lessons since serving my time. Never lend your tools out and never buy anything with the word 'silverline' on it.

I spend a fortune at toolstation and the staff there don't even get things out of the box if it's a silverline item, they know I will ask them to put it back. As someone else said, buy the best you can afford and don't always buy new - eBay has some great deals on tools and you can pick stuff up cheap. Try spelling Stuff wrong when you search (barco, Bhaco bacco etc) - you'd be amazed at the number of people selling stuff who spell it wrong and then it doesn't come up in searches, so if you spell it wrong too, you find it and win the auction!

I buy only names I can trust (that makes me sound a right n@b - sorry!) but then again I don't smoke or drink so I can afford to. I've got a mate who's always after borrowing tools because he spends his wages on booze and women, then moans that he can't get jobs done without a proper toolkit! And don't forget that you can claim your tool money back against your tax at the end of the year!

I find the green chequered hose pipe the best. It fits tight on the drain offs and no need for jubilee clips.. think I got mine from gleebay for about £10
Iv got the green chequered hose pipe, but I've found the after a while it started to get loose on some radvalve drain offs so I always bang a jubilee on takes a second and I'm safe knowing theres not going to be a nice black sludge mark on the carpet or floor when I lift the dust sheets

Iv got the green chequered hose pipe, but I've found the after a while it started to get loose on some radvalve drain offs so I always bang a jubilee on takes a second and I'm safe knowing theres not going to be a nice black sludge mark on the carpet or floor when I lift the dust sheets
I just stick a little towel underneath.. saves the carpet. I forgot to shut the drainoff when refilling last week, lucky for me the towel soaked most of it up, the wetvac got the rest ;)

Tool staition plumb tubs are only £8.50 with slots for 10/15/22mm pipe there quite useful at times

Still stick to my towel and wetvac..

That tray looks good. For £20 it's worth having one just in case. At 790 long though, it might be a bit big for tight spaces. I have a couple of paint roller trays in the van just in case. You just never know what you're going to need in this job! That's why I love it!!

a few people mentioned £35 wet vacs from Lidl - screwfix (as much as I hate them!) sell a 12 ltr wet n dry vac for 19 quid. Only downside is its 240v but you can't moan for a score!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic tools and which are best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock