Search the forum,

Discuss Ball valve seating washer disintegrates after 6 months in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,i was hoping someone could help me. About 12 months ago neighbours let us know that the overflow pipe for our mains water fed loft cold water tank was at the back of our property was constantly leaking and causing damage to the rendering of the wall.(we dont use this area. Car park for other buildings)

I know nothing about plumbing but bought a new ball valve and replaced seating washer with a new washer (cant remember if it was an actual seating washer or just similar in size+shape)

About 5 months ago i had to completely uninstall thecold water tank in order to insulate space behind it. I noticed that the seating washer was more or less ruined so replaced it with a general washer that looked identical.

Due to a lot of work needing done in loft i am just about to finish insulating now which means access to loft cold water tank would be a nightmare once new insulation is down. Would ruin all my work. Checked that seating valve and same story,looks ruined already.

Ive bought a proper "dedicated" seating washer but looks same as others i used. Is the problem the water pressure is too high. Should i turn pressure down a tad by adjusting the stopcock outside?

Antone any ideas? Ive used similar ball valve as originally installed. High pressure ball valve were water escapes from bottom rather than side. Its a smallish tank.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Wanna get insulation finished and fan ducting hooked back up. Dont wanna have to undo it all again in 6 months because seating washer is buggered again and neighbours complaing of the constant leak from overflow pipe.

Thanks for your time and effort. I can upload detailed images if need be when i get home from work in 3 hours.

Thank you for your help.
Ted

Think there are different versions for high and low pressure.

Its an area that may need maintenance though so I would want to arrange the insulation accordingly.

Assume you have lagged the pipes with clip on foam.

Picture might help. I'm new here and understnd we have to link to pics hosted elsewhere until we are trusted.

Roy

Sorry guys, im not that familiar with plumbing lingo im probs getting mixed up. Im going into loft in an hour and will be taking more pics.

These are just pics from the internet.

hpbv_pt_2.jpg

seating.png

seating_screen_grab.png

Use the rubber type washers instead of the red fibre washers.
The hard and brittle new fibre washers are intended to soak water and become soft and swell a little once fitted, but if they seem to be badly deteriorated, just use rubber type.

Also get the pressure tested and if too high have a pressure reducing valve fitted to the mains to the house

Use the rubber type washers instead of the red fibre washers.
The hard and brittle new fibre washers are intended to soak water and become soft and swell a little once fitted, but if they seem to be badly deteriorated, just use rubber type.

Also get the pressure tested and if too high have a pressure reducing valve fitted to the mains to the house

"Just use rubber washer". Ffs, such a simple solution yet a solution I could never have came up with by myself. Thanks for that best.

I had bought plumbers assorted washer pack and right enough theres an identical rubber washer. Think that should do the trick actually.Feel stupid now.

Thanks again best,much appreciated.

Reply to Ball valve seating washer disintegrates after 6 months in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock