Discuss back boiler will not stop filling. i HATE central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigben86

hi all thank you in advance for reading my post.

so my story starts with me finding a small leak from the radiator in the front room (carpet was soaked). i isolated the rad but the valve was letting by so bowl underneath was my option.

lucky i have a mate who is a gas engineer so he offered to change the radiator and valves for me.i went online order the bits and when arrived he came round to change them.

as the valves were letting by we had to drain the system down. i currently have a old myson housewarmer back boiler. he drained down the system and changed out the radiator and valves. we put everything back to how it was before and bleed all the rads. i had to go straight to work so didnt have time to test it all.

the next morning i came down a put the heating on. after 10/15 mins i realised there was only heat coming to the rads upstairs. after re bleeding and some calls to my mate we came to the conclusion the pump was giving out. when i shut the upstairs rads off i got a small amount of heat in the downstairs plus the pump was making a weird squeaking sound.

so back in the net to order a new pump and pump valves as the pervious person who worked on the pump completely destroyed the screws on the ball valves. so again i had to drain down the system as i could not isolated the pump. i did all i needed to do and changed the valves and pump with very little problems.

i put all back to normal and put the heating on. i could hear the pump start up and the boiler kick in but nothing coming through the radiators.

i decided to turn the hot water and heating at the controls on the wall. i left it several minutes and then turn both back on to run, as i did this the pump started and when the boilet started up the sound of water running into the boiler like it was filling up and then the radiators all kicked in and heated up. it was late in the night so turn the heating off and the water running stopped straight away.

the next morning again put the heating on but again no heat. so turned both off again at the controls and then back on and again the water started running in the back of the boiler and heating came on full.

now the running water/ boiler filling has not stopped since then. the heating comes on straight away as ment to but im worried about the boiler filling constantly. iv spoken to my mate and someone else with good central heating knowledge and both have said its more than likely a airlock.

iv bleed the rads,pump and cylinder. iv also shut all the rads and gone from the furthest away from the boiler, opened the valve a little and if once some heat is there gone onto the next one. nothing seems to be stoppimg this running water/filling.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know im stumped.

thanks
ben

Inclined to agree with your mates. Did you open any valves (2 port/3port) when filling? Did you bleed pump?? Are there any thumb screw type air vents that may need opening/bleeding
I'd say air

Last edited:
Try shutting all radiators except one, the pump might shift the air to that radiator, then bleed. Air locks are a pain

Old back boilers , are you fully pumped system ? you could have a partial blockage on cold feed to system so it is filling slowly , if air lock , and you know what you are doing you can boil it out (Old School method)

yep 2 port valves were open, iv bleed the pump twice but no air. i have also bleed the thumb screw that is connected near the cylinder no air. iv tried sutting off all rads and openong one by one but no luck. didnt change anything.

You need to find mates who actually know what they are talking about cos these 2 know about as much as the wife.
Easy fix. Either drain and fill properly or throw a half bottle of fairy in the header tank and draw water through a drain off until it bubbles (profusely)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the reply. tamz can i i ask what your process of drain down a fill properly is? as alot of people have different views on this. i dont think iv done anything wrong or missed anything. if i put the washing up liquid in the header tank where would be best to drain off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to back boiler will not stop filling. i HATE central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock