Search the forum,

Discuss Back boiler still kettling after cleaning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put some cleaning fluid through my system about 6 weeks ago and drained down at the weekend I ran the heating until the water was clear but after filling I still have kettling when only HW is running.

As far as I’m aware the HW is heated by gravity as I cannot see a valve only the pump.

Am I missing something when cleaning this type of system or have I not run the system enough? Should I have let the system settle then run the heating again to remove more dirt? Should I shut the valves on the other radiators then run the system to force everything out of that drain?

What other options do I have?

It wouldn’t be so bad but the pipes come under my bedroom floor and obviously the boilers in the living room so it’s hard to get away from the noise.

What boiler is it? If it is only a slight kettling you may get away with putting some silencer into the system.

If it’s an older boiler with heavy kettling there’s nothing much you will be able to do.
Try harvests suggestion just in case it can be quietened

I had similar with hot water on a older boiler partially blocked pipe work. sludge had settled in the bottom on the flow to the cylinder.

Thanks for your replies yes it’s an antique but it doesn’t cost anything to maintain in 12 years we have only had to replace thermocouples and a solenoid.

Has anyone ever used the over flow and a compression fitting and hose pipe to flush the other way? Is there any reason this could not be tried?

standard cleaning fluid is no good for getting rid of scale, it needs a proper de-scalar (Acid) in system have a look at Kemco product's

Thanks for your replies yes it’s an antique but it doesn’t cost anything to maintain in 12 years we have only had to replace thermocouples and a solenoid.

Has anyone ever used the over flow and a compression fitting and hose pipe to flush the other way? Is there any reason this could not be tried?

Yes not great way of doing it tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back boiler still kettling after cleaning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open vented system S plan Also found there was no bypass and this was an external boiler with frost stat so boiler would start with no valves open...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock