Search the forum,

Discuss back boiler fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spycatcher

Hi All, ive just aquired a coalbrookdale severn with a back boiler

there are 4 outlets at the back of it, three of them take 28mm pipe and one takes a 22mm pipe

one of the 28mm outlets i can fit an ordinary 28mm compression nut with a 28mm olive but the other two 28mm outlets and the 22mm outletseem to have a much finer thread on them

can anyone tell me what kind of a compression nut to buy for the other outlets

thanks

Second hand, with used fittings already in the back?
As above you will need to buy at least 3 new ones.
The compression nut thread on 22mm and above is usually unique to a fitting manufacturer, not BSP.

thanks for the reply snowhead

if i take these fittings out what ones would you suggest i replace them with

it says in the manual that it has 4 * 1 1/4 connections on the back

It will have 1.1/4" to 1" iron bushes in the outlets and possible 1 x 1.1/4" to 3/4" iron bush.
Unscrew the brass fittings and leave the iron bushes in.

It will have 1.1/4" to 1" iron bushes in the outlets and possible 1 x 1.1/4" to 3/4" iron bush.
Unscrew the brass fittings and leave the iron bushes in.

Never saw a back boiler with 11/4 fittings

Your question shows you have little experience of plumbing - no offence intended, so I would advise you get someone with experience of solid fuel to help you or do everything. I just saw on Saturday a fire connected by someone who was a plumber of sorts but out of their depth. It is highly dangerous, with no primaries or independent vents/feeds.

The brass fittings are proving to be a bit of a problem getting out

worried i round them

The brass fittings are proving to be a bit of a problem getting out

worried i round them

instead of been selective of which replies you read and accept try reading them all please , would hate to here about you on the news

Well thats great thank you all very much

its all very well for you to say to me to read all the replies and get expert advice etc. and if i lived in a city i would probably only have to clink two copper pipes together outside my front door and half a dozen plumbers would come running but i live in the highlands in the back of beyond where its easier to catch haggis than plumbers but thats ok i'll manage

thank you all for your advice and non-advice

What you have failed to understand is the inherent danger of a solid fuel system and said system being installed by an obvious novice.
Your retort is exactly of others on here who don't like the answers to their questions. The reason why you have had no 'real' help with this matter is the fact that you don't have the first clue as to what you are doing and are therefore a danger to yourself and your family.

Here's some really good advice. Stop being tight and find somebody who knows what they are doing, before we hear about it in the news.

perhaps you should go back and read my post thourghly

the bit about i live in the back of beyond where there are NO plumbers willing to come and do the job

its hardly rocket science, i guess i'll just get my lathe out and make the nuts myself

I always find that when there are NO plumbers that will do the job it's down to the customer. IMHO.

perhaps you should go back and read my post thourghly

the bit about i live in the back of beyond where there are NO plumbers willing to come and do the job

its hardly rocket science, i guess i'll just get my lathe out and make the nuts myself
What a strange person you are spycatcher, it must be living out the back of beyond, if it is not rocket science then why are you asking on here ?

Surely there is a solid fuel experienced engineer within 50 miles of you?
As to the seized fittings - use a blow lamp to heat outside the fittings (& a little heat on fitting) & if a spanner will slip, use grips to remove each fitting. Wear gloves to protect your hands. How's that for useful advice? :smile:

all i am asking is what nut could it be that are on the 3 other brass fittings

if you dont know then thats fine

go and harass someone else

thank you best

that sounds like sound advice

i live in the scottish highlands miles from anywhere

believe me tradesmen are as scarce as hens teeth up here

You're wanting to install a solid fuel heating system and you can't even get three old fittings off the stove...............

I'm off to harass somebody else.

thanks tamz

it looks like i'll take the advice and try and remove the three odd brass fittings

Fine threads are very likely to be the old Kuterlite. A plumber may have some lying about somewhere, but he may live too far away....

i'll try your suggestion of putting a bit heat on them

i could find a haggis quicker than a plumber out here :)

i'll try your suggestion of putting a bit heat on them

i could find a haggis quicker than a plumber out here :)

A sniff of a bundle of ÂŁ20 notes will surely attract plenty of those tight Scottish plumbers any distance?

There are mainly only 2 types of thread. Fine thread and course thread. Kuterlite, Jevco and a couple of others are fine all the rest are course. They are interchangable.
There are a couple of other different threads and but if it is less than 15 years old it won't be them.
There will be someone round about who could help you with this. There always is.
Jump on yer quad and ask your neighbours who they get to do their work.

there was a guy on the mainland but he wasnt keen on me picking him up on ma wee boat :(

I've bought most of the 28mm compression fittings and as i say the nuts on them fit one of the brass fittings on the back of the stove but the other 3 are much finer threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to back boiler fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all great site, I've just moved house and am taking my wood stove boiler with me as it's only a couple of years old, it has 4 outlets on back, 2 for hot and 2 for cold, my new house has an open fire and has been used to heat both hot water and rads, but only has 2 outlets, can I T the 2 top...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a 35kw system boiler appears to be in 22mm flexible steel pipe (tractpipe, or teslaflex or w/e). Distance from the meter is only 4m-5m or so, and I assume...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock