Search the forum,

Discuss Asking to change to part time with employer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi,

Currently doing social housing plumbing. Its not particularly demanding, I like the blokes I work with and it's Mon - Friday. No call out. The money is ok, nothing special but then we're not exactly under pressure day in day out. No gas work.

I'm thinking about asking to change to part time in the new year, hopefully mon-wed or tues-thurs. I'm at the stage where i'm getting plenty of my own work but means working late most evenings and all weekend. I'm sure there's plenty of members on here who have done the same in order to build up a customer base, working in their spare time. It's not something I want to do for ever. I'm not sure I'd ever go out on my own full time but time will tell.

I'm also wanting to do more on the gas side of things but trying to manage this around a full time job can be difficult.

My partner has been promoted in work so she is doing longer hours, our child care bills are steep, if i was doing three days I would save on child care as I could drop my daughter in school and pick her up on those 2 days.

What would be the best way to approach work about this? I would put it in writing. I know its allowed to ask to change work hours but its also ok for the employer to refuse. I'm going to add in my request that during the times when they might be short staffed because of holidays etc I can be available to do 5 days providing i'm given some notice.

I more than pull my weight in work and there's not been any issues with sicknesses/absences. Another tradesman was allowed to go to 4 days last year for similar reasons so I know they are reasonable but not sure how to word it. Any advice?

Thanks

Straight to the point and honest. Miss out about wanting to do your own work though. Play heavy on the 'family' theme.

Thanks. I won't be mentioning my own work. Its not as though I would be creating mountains of work for anyone else by doing less days.

I wouldn't put anything in writing to begin with.
I would ask your employer about part time employment and see how that goes.
Explain wife working 'different' hours and with child in childcare, you are going backwards financially.

See what they offer.

You may get away with 1 day a week off, but really pushing it for 2 without raising questions.

You have to ask yourself, 'Could you provide enough support to your family without your current employer'

I agree might be pushing it asking for the 2days, one day would help. It would mean one day less of child care fees and allow me to manage private work a bit better.

I don't know if this thread makes me come across as selfish. I have a feeling it does but we all do this job for a better quality of life for ourselves and our families and that's what's most important.

At the end of the day, you look out for your interests just as your employer looks out for his or her interests. No one will employ you if it doesn't suit them. The day my part-time employed job in a wholesaler can be mechanised, my manager will have no qualms about making me redundant with immediate effect, and any employed job runs that risk, especially when the position relies on a small number of large contracts.

FWIW, I took on a short-term contract (which was extended) working in a reasonably dead-end job around Christmas last year. After I had saved some money etc, I asked for part-time hours on the grounds that I needed to work on my house, van, and plumbing business (my other job was not plumbing related, so no risk of competing against myself, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it). In the end, the manager agreed as he knew I would otherwise leave entirely and he's lucky to have someone of my calibre on the wages his firm pays.

Basically, I'm more use to him part-time than not at all, and the arrangement suits both of us. It is good to see your loyalty, but you really aren't screwing anyone over by trying to find an arrangement that suits you as well.

Reply to Asking to change to part time with employer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock