Search the forum,

Discuss Asked to change a programmer. Ch fault still occurring. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi,

Had a phone call today from a letting agent. Asked me to straight swap a programmer and asked how much. I said 1hr labour if its as they say.

Programmer supplied by agent and left at the property for me. I asked has it been confirmed it's the programmer at fault. (I didnt want there to be another issue and be expected to deal with it for the same charge). They said yes it's just that the guy who diagnosed it couldn't get there today.

Replaced programmer, turned ch on pump comes on, runs for 10 seconds then goes off. Same with hw.

If I manually open three port it will run fine.

I bled the radiators, slow to fill. I checked the f and e, full of muck. Bleeding rads the water looked like oil.

3 port makes a bit of a creak. Got to. Be this that is faulty surely?

100% agreed.

It was a honeywell imitation, I had one on the van but said to the tenant I'm not changing it as I haven't been given the go ahead and I can't guarantee they will pay me. (they most likely would but not going to risk it). I have done a few jobs for them now, not big bucks but 1 or 2 jobs a week.

I left it in the open position so they have heating but advised it was a temp fix. Going to let the agent know tomorrow and will say to them if they put it in writing that they are happy for me to carry out repairs up to a certain amount in the future then it might mean getting some jobs done sooner.

What the hell are you doing Ash! you really must learn not to get carried away. You were instructed to go fit the programer (no warrantee offered by you as they supplied) That is all you should have done, just as soon as you start on other things you become liable.
I know you do it with the best of intensions (as I us to) but you will learn the hard way.

What the hell are you doing Ash! you really must learn not to get carried away. You were instructed to go fit the programer (no warrantee offered by you as they supplied) That is all you should have done, just as soon as you start on other things you become liable.
I know you do it with the best of intensions (as I us to) but you will learn the hard way.

I understand, I'm a glutton for punishment and no doubt it will bite me one day.

The tenant doesn't speak very clear English so will not be able to say to the agent what I did.

I know I didn't have to do any more than change the programmer but I wanted to see what was going on in case I do get asked to go back.
Thanks.

I understand, I'm a glutton for punishment and no doubt it will bite me one day.

The tenant doesn't speak very clear English so will not be able to say to the agent what I did.

I know I didn't have to do any more than change the programmer but I wanted to see what was going on in case I do get asked to go back.
Thanks.
I know BUT........:confused:

Ash. Chris is quite correct. It's not you, it's the world we inhabit. It's simply full of people who bend you over given half a chance.

Try looking at it this way. If you do more, even investigate, than you were asked WHO pays for it? The extremely simple answer is YOU and YOUR family. That's who.

Carry on doing what you do well and DO NOT get inquisitive, because all the time you are exploring YOU ARE PAYING THEM because you use that information subconsciously to do a 'better' job than you were paid to do.

Ask yourself another thing. If you've been inquisitive 100 times, how many times have you subsequently been paid for that time?;)

Its different its some poor old dear, but NEVER NEVER NEVER do it for ANY form of commercial entity. They WILL screw you over.

Reply to Asked to change a programmer. Ch fault still occurring. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've just noticed that with the CH programmer either selected off or timed off, the CH can still be controlled on/off at the room thermostat. HW is controlled by the same programmer and is operating normally. System is a pumped Y plan. I take it the programmer is fubar? Anything I can do to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have a fault on a clients heating system whereby the heating will stay on regardless of what the programmer is doing on its timed function, it'll switch off at the programmer (no light) but boiler will stay on until they turn the stat down, I went and looked at it, they said they...
Replies
Views
Customer complains of Intermittent heating on Y plan with Stat satisfied. New boiler fitted last year (no permanent live required or fitted previously) on an existing Y plan system. Existing timer was a Randall 103 (no hot water off position as its a timer not a programmer). The customer wanted...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several hours studying my hot water system. My flat has a vented hot water system supplying hot water to the kitchen and bathroom taps. The pump is a Stuart...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock