Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Are undertile bath seals any good really... in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. James Firth

James Firth New Member

Hi all,

In the next few weeks I am looking at getting my bathroom redone and have purchased a Carron sigma 1900x900mm bath.
    My question is are these undertile bathrooms seals any good?
    Some I've been looking at are 50 quid for a kit. And some 8.99 for a 2m strip.
    The over tiles seem to be useless and a lot of people saying they just done stay on.
    I've been looking at the undertile ones as I thought they would be better at keeping water out and for staying on.
    Am I better just getting it silicone sealed around the edge? I was just worried a finish like that would let the bathroom down...

Any help would be great.

Cheers Jim

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Do not use them crappy under tile sealing strips.

3. James Firth

James Firth New Member

Advice taken mate. Just wonderedwhy there hates so much. They seem like a good idea. Is their an alternative or just good old silicone?

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Never use em good old silicone has always worked for me . Kop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Better off spending the £50 on a Cramer fugi silicone profiling kit and a few cheap tubes of silicone and get practicing!
    A skilfully applied bead of silicone not only keeps things water tight, it is truly a thing a beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. apcdave

apcdave Member

classical when bath installed - then bead of silicone - never fails

• Like Like x 1
  7. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Personally, I've used the blue 'classic' ones a good few times now. Especially on rubbish walls such as the folded ali foil studwork!!

I did it because movement was always a problem and the strip accommodated quite a bit with out leaking. I found it required a bit of forthought in that the corner had to be 'puckered up' rather than simply wrapped round the bath to get into the corner properly. They certainly stick like the proverbial to a blanket!!

As I've never had a call back, I've assumed that worked! Or it could be that I've changed my number . :rolleyes::D

8. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

If you have plasterboard walls remove all plasterboard in wet areas (all round bath behind basin etc) replace for the green plasterboard or aqua board. Put the bath in silicone it with good quality (I use dow corning). Then tile then silicone it again.

If the silicone starts looking tatty in a couple of years then scrape all the existing out and re silicone.

This is what I was taught years ago and it seems to of worked well for me. A lot of the bathrooms I go to that need everything removing is because they have used cheap nasty silicone and applied it over the existing then it doesn't stick soaks under then soaks all the plasterboard and then all the tiles fall off and the customer moans that I can't fix it with out stripping the whole bathroom out and starting again.

Do it right this time save yourself a lot of work in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James Firth

James Firth New Member

Cheers for all the help guys. Think I'm gonna go down the green plasterboard and just silicone around the bath route. Trying to keep costs down.

10. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR

Some things you dont try and keep your costs down you do it for what it costs. What you dont want to do is spend 3-4k on a bathroom that should cost 6-7k then have to spend another 3-4k in a couple of years.

A good bathroom will put thousands on your house a badly installed one will take just as much off.

• Agree Agree x 2