Search the forum,

Discuss are there any C&G 6129 books recommended to do @ home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Ven

Hi, i know nothing about plumbing but considering it as a trade, am thinking about doing the C&G 6129 but know nothing how the theory will be like.
I am wondering if you guys could recommend a good book that covers the C&G 6129 that will enable to look at it at home with out jumping on to a expensive course & finding out its to challenging.

Yes you can get the jtl plumbing nvq lev 2 book. And if you have no experience it will be challenging , but this is a good thing no ??

Yes you can get the jtl plumbing nvq lev 2 book. And if you have no experience it will be challenging , but this is a good thing no ??

That JTL book you mentioned covers 1999 regulation is this part of C&G 6129 or is it additional

thanks for the tip, i just want a book that covers the C&G 6129 criteria that i can take home and look at b4 enrolling on to expensive courses. It will be a good way of finding out whether its the right course for me.

Hi , yeah that book is the one they hand out which ever course you do it's the correct one for 6129 .

Hi , yeah that book is the one they hand out which ever course you do it's the correct one for 6129 .

how complicated is plumbing does it involve design? i just thought of plumbing as just fixing taps, unblocking toilets & pipe work.

how complicated is plumbing does it involve design? i just thought of plumbing as just fixing taps, unblocking toilets & pipe work.
Hey , err.... in a word no, there is much, much, more to plumbing than that the 6129 is the minimum requirement to enter the industry ....you will even struggle with that alone . Plumbing is a science with a high level of skill, foresight , mathematics , chemistry , physics , and you will need to have large amounts of confidence and initiative to be successfull. If you want to just fix taps , change syphons , then just do a two week course. You will still be learning in 20 years ( so I've heard ) These are just some of the reasons I got into it. :)

not cheap but this is excellent for cross referencing with the main book

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plumbing-Encyclopaedia-Roy-Treloar/dp/1405161647/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_7[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey , err.... in a word no, there is much, much, more to plumbing than that the 6129 is the minimum requirement to enter the industry ....you will even struggle with that alone . Plumbing is a science with a high level of skill, foresight , mathematics , chemistry , physics , and you will need to have large amounts of confidence and initiative to be successfull. If you want to just fix taps , change syphons , then just do a two week course. You will still be learning in 20 years ( so I've heard ) These are just some of the reasons I got into it. :)

So the 6129 course will it involve maths, science & regulations. What goes into de/commissioning a heating system.... whats theory like for 6129?

Have a look [DLMURL]http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_construction_plumbing/6129-faq_v2.1_October08.pdf[/DLMURL]

thanks, i can not seem to find on the city and guilds website if 6129 is a multiple choice question test.

hi, i found these two books they look great in the description section of amazon i am not really sure though but i will leave u to judge it. if i find my self better off @ learning the material @ home through these books that cover 6129, is there any where that i can book a test for the 6129 i.e. me not enrolling onto a provider avoiding the pricey fee of enrollment.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plumbing-Steve-Muscroft/dp/0750666935]Plumbing: Amazon.co.uk: Steve Muscroft: Books[/ame]
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plumbing-Practical-Guide-Level-Levels/dp/0748792759]Plumbing: A Practical Guide for Level 2: Levels 1 & 2: A Masterman: Amazon.co.uk: R Boyce: Books[/ame]

Doing a 6129 is not going to night school once a week for a hour and changing washers or fitting taps. You will have to study to achieve this qualification and it's not easy.
Theory alone does not complete the requirements of the course. You will have to complete practical hands-on assignments and be assessed by verifiers.

Hi ven
C&G 6129 consists of 13 modules to work through with assignments you send off for marking(multi choice possible 4 answers)You do progress checks in the modules along the way that are self checked.
The modules covered are:-
1 Plumbing Induction
2 Health & Safety
3Common Plumbing Processes
4 Key Plumbing Principles
5 Sanitation Systems
6 Electricity
7 Cold Water Systems
8 Domestic Hot Water Systems
9 Cold & Hot Water Systems & Components
10 Central Heating Systems
11 Sheet Lead Weatherings
12 Environmental Awareness
13 Effective Working Relationships
You need to attend a total of 12 practical days training,15 days practical/theory exams.Then 1 final theory exam covering the whole course(GOLA)

Hope this gives you some insight

Doing a 6129 is not going to night school once a week for a hour and changing washers or fitting taps. You will have to study to achieve this qualification and it's not easy.

I agree that it's not simply maintenance work but have to disagree about it's difficulty, the 6129 level 2 is extremely basic.

I agree that it's not simply maintenance work but have to disagree about it's difficulty, the 6129 level 2 is extremely basic.

Yes, I agree that level 2 is a basic qualification but is it achievable with out instruction and tuition.
People are lead to believe that after gaining the 6129 they will be a qualified and competent plumber, WRONG.
Students are even being told that if they do a level one, which is a diy course, then the water regs and drainage they can join one of these competence schemes and will get full time employment within the plumbing industry. Or can start up on their own.
I felt ripped off after doing the 6129 and no way would I have started on my own. After completing for level 2, I was then told not to bother with the nvq or level 3, but to do the gas foundation instead. Which I perhaps should of done anyway.
Just don't like to see people mislead, as I was.;)

The 6129 level 2 and NVQ are basic and don't amount to a plumber. I don't consider myself particularly intelligent or bright and I passed every exam and every assessment with ease.
I'm not exceptional, the bar is set exceptionally low which I don't say to encourage people to take up a short course. It's a warning.
The 6129 doesn't make you a plumber and neither does meeting the criteria of the NVQ. There's a massive divide between what's taught and what's required in the real world.
I did an apprenticeship. If I hadn't been taught on site and had to rely on what I'd learned in college I wouldn't call myself a plumber.

I'd say to anyone to save their money. They'd be better of getting in with a plumber to do a bit of labouring and try and pick experience up that way. Read a book on plumbing and soak it up.
By all means achieve the qualifications but know they are only formalities.

Well done you !

Not really, after i'd finished my NVQ 3 I was really cheesed off. I'd spent 3 1/2 years on these qualifications only to find they were a waste of time.
I've since worked with loads of guys with no formal qualifications who run rings around me because their time was better spent on the tools.

All I'm saying is anyone looking to become a plumber would be better off teaching themselves the basics then just start doing it while completing the qualification with the mindset that it's just a formality.

Not really, after i'd finished my NVQ 3 I was really cheesed off. I'd spent 3 1/2 years on these qualifications only to find they were a waste of time.
I've since worked with loads of guys with no formal qualifications who run rings around me because their time was better spent on the tools.

All I'm saying is anyone looking to become a plumber would be better off teaching themselves the basics then just start doing it while completing the qualification with the mindset that it's just a formality.

Totally agree....

If it is true that the government want all tradesmen to be qualified (as informed by training centre) your qual's will give you a good head start.
It's still an achievement to gain a NVQ 3.

i am currently doing the 6129 course, surely to start somewhere it cant be a 'rip off' cos what are you expecting exactly....to have a job handed on a plate jus because u went n trained, life doesnt work like that. I think alot of people are deluding themselves because you try gettin a any job without qualifications. So fair play really to all those that are trying to improve themselves!!R!

It's like anything the plumbing qualifications are largely classroom based and should really be backed up with on job experience so don't agree theyre a waste of time! Post 14; I don't think that was good advice to not do the level 3 or nvq3 unless of course you just want to pursue gas?

It's like anything the plumbing qualifications are largely classroom based and should really be backed up with on job experience so don't agree theyre a waste of time! Post 14; I don't think that was good advice to not do the level 3 or nvq3 unless of course you just want to pursue gas?

plumbing quals are not largly classroom based.
they are 50/50 and the clasrrom stuff is required, maybe not if you want to be a cowboy but if you want to make something of your career then get trained, level 2 is the starting point, basic yes but we need to star there dont we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to are there any C&G 6129 books recommended to do @ home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock