Search the forum,

Discuss Are older apprentices a myth? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to get opinions of people already in the plumbing trade.

I'm 27 and right at the end of a city and guilds level 2 course (6035) which i understand as being the first rung of the ladder.

I want to know whether looking for an apprenticeship at my age is something that is attainable, or if i'm wasting my time.

I understand that employers would have to pay me the national living wage and i feel this may hinder my chances, when say pegged against a school leaver that could be paid £3 something an hour.

Are there employers out there that find older apprentices desirable?

If not, what other option do i have to gain the experience i need to ultimately get qualified?

TIA.

I always thought first year apprentices were paid a pittance anyway?

yeah but i think over 25 you have to get paid the national living wage, so that would be £7.50 an hour odd.

My point being that from the perspective of an employer, they'd probably be more willing to take on a younger apprentice as they get better funding and can pay them less etc. I dont know if employers get funding for older apprentices? any idea?

If I were you, I would investigate what there is available for you and your employer for taking on a mature aged apprentice.

You never know, there may be some Government Grants available to you and your employer that you both haven't heard about.

Some of these schemes are very obscure and may come under re-training.

Thanks OZ,

I think ill have to look into it more in depth so i know where i stand.

If i find anything out worthwhile then ill post so i can maybe pay it forward. Its all a pain in the arse but im not giving up!!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are older apprentices a myth? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock