Search the forum,

Discuss Apprentice wages - at companies discretion? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mario 1

Say you do your 2 years, gain NVQ 2 - WHEN should your company increase your rate to that of a qualified installer?

The date you passed your exam?

Whenever they want?

Got apprenticeship Oct 08,
Pay rise Sep 09,
Finished course Jun 2010.

Still on same wedge as Sep 09!! :(

Just I took my final paper in June, which was confirmed a pass on that day, marked by C&G a week later, and I've just got my certs through saying all dates etc.... I'm thinking I should have been on an increased wedge since Jun 2010?

If you are doing an apprenticeship expect to be 4 years before on full rate.
Up here, apprentices have usually done their SVQ3 at end of 3rd year. Still got 4th year app wages to go but it depends on the employer and what you are actually doing.
You should get a rise next month then ;)

Well it is a 4 year apprenticeship yes, but we get a rise every year,

1st year - min wage
2nd year - improved rate
Then the NVQ rate is £2 an hour more than the 2nd year rate - but I've passed my NVQ so technically am NVQ2.

They're just fiddling me out of a couple of months on my old rate

Look here for national plumbing rates........[DLMURL]http://www.unitetheunion.org/pdf/20090807153336419.pdf[/DLMURL]

Eco

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario - before wadding in with ya boots on I suggest you have quiet word with your employer, just innocently ask if you get a pay rise following the completion of your exams or what the company policy is. It maybe that they've just overlooked it and a prompt is all they need.

Has your work increased following your exams? Do you take on more responsibility?

Yeah good advice....Everyone who works for us is scared ****less to mention anything fearing the sack... :rolleyes:

Yeah good advice....Everyone who works for us is scared ****less to mention anything fearing the sack... :rolleyes:

More of a reason not to be seen as a trouble maker and just pick your moment to approach your boss. Let us know how you get on.

Since qualifying , how much extra money in profit are you making your boss do you reakon? Is he able to leave you on jobs more ? drive to your own jobs etc? just wondered

i always try to prove myself and then ask for the recognition ie, money promotion or similar

Without blowing my own trumpet I am going to blow my own trumpet...

I have always been thrown in at the deep end, there are people who've just come out there time on lighter duties....I don't really find much hard.

I don't really have a 'boss' as such who deals with my wages..it's a big company, 1000 employees

Just going to make a few light hearted calls no doubt the buck will be passed several times before I get to the person who deals with it

Last edited by a moderator:
Most apprenticeships now last 3 years min 1st year poor money 2nd year 50% rise pass exams 3rd year 50% again 4th year same as everyone else , be grateful you got an apprenticeship in the first place , you cannot expect a company to spend thousands on training you then pay you top dollar with no real experience , just play the game and your rewards will come :):):p;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Apprentice wages - at companies discretion? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock