Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Anyone have a clue?? in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Chaps,

Does anyone have a clue about this connection on my outside tap?

As you may have guessed, I'm just a simple homeowner but this contraption is leaking and has cost me a fortune in my water bill. Desperate to sort it but whenever I touch it, it spurts water everywhere and just spins.

Would be grateful for any advice so I can sort it ASAP and save some cost!

20190316_140635.jpg

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  3. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Craig is correct. You MUST protect it from freezing. It needs to either be buried at least 18" down or have insulation underneath and around that stops it every freezing. Personally I'd be looking to create some for of boxing around it and filling that with something like vermiculite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gingalig

gingalig GSR

As above, but put an isolator to the supply indoors to turn off when not in use, especially in winter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

And would have been able to isolate until repair made, thus saving fortune on water bill. However looks to me like it’s been installed outside and not fed from inside. If that’s the case then you may have no backflow prevention either - isolation valve, backflow prevention and insulation (not just to protect against freezing but to prevent undue warming) all a requirement of water regulations.

Best to get it seen to soon

• Agree Agree x 1