Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone got a Milwaukee 12V copper pipe cutter????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

capitanpugwash

Hi all

Got myself a 12V copper pipe cutter. Over here they are £180 and I could not justify it, but in America I bought one for under £90 which my OH picked up when she was out there working.

Problem is that it takes FOREVER to cut pipe so is obviously faulty. It takes 20-25 seconds to cut 15mm. I bought it for stripping out pipework in lofts perched between joists. I do this a lot and thought that this tool could make life a lot easier on the wrists. It claims to be able to cut pipe in under 3 seconds and do 200 cuts per charge.

I know. I know. I know. You should buy tools with a warranty for local use, but I thought that at half price it woudl be worth a punt. There didn't look to be too many movign parts and I wouldn't have bought it if it was, say a drill/driver/grinder etc in daily use.

Does anyone else have one of these? How long does it take it to cut 15mm copper for yours?

Just spoken to Milwaukee UK and they are already trying to claim that they are not responsible for it which beeps me off no end. I am waiting a call back from their manager and if not resolved I will have a useless tool and be £90 worse off (Unless I post it back to USA to have it looked at under guarantee). :mad:

I got one but i only use it for cutting 28mm as I find it brilliant for that but I agree it is to slow for 15mm and 22mm so I still use me pipe slices, even so it doesnt take that long to cut 15mm I will try it tommorow and time it, then let yer know

Cheers unguided. Claims to cut 15mm in 3 seconds. Record 20 seconds!! Must say I tried it no the 28mm and I think it much better on 28mm and leaves a lovely clean cut, but it must be a bit loose for the 15mm as it relies on the sprung jaws to do 15, 22 & 28mm. Get your stopwatch and let me know.

Hi ecowarm,

Don't know if you've seen it but the jaws just spring open from 10-28mm with a constant sprung pressure forcing the blade onto the pipe. Can't see it making any difference. The unit is identical to the uk sold model from what I can tell....

I'll make sure I don't get any pipe out there though- imagine the fun trying to get that into the fittings. In fact, you've given me an idea ;):D

Cheers unguided. Claims to cut 15mm in 3 seconds. Record 20 seconds!! Must say I tried it no the 28mm and I think it much better on 28mm and leaves a lovely clean cut, but it must be a bit loose for the 15mm as it relies on the sprung jaws to do 15, 22 & 28mm. Get your stopwatch and let me know.

Just been thinking about it, when I do use mine on 15mm, on a number of occasions it has tram lined or crushed the pipe, I am pretty sure its not tool, its just the tool on the other end of the tool thats making the tool do it, if yer know what I mean

Right after playing with me tool yesterday I found that it cuts all sizes in around 5 to 7 seconds which I find acceptible on 28mm but I feel my rothenberger 15mm and 22mm pipeslices are quicker.
Just out of interest have you caught yer fingers in it yet, coz it blooming well hurts

5-7 seconds is not bad unguided1.... Mine is quite a long longer and needs a bit of a seeing to I think. Thanks for taking part in the race. You and your tool are currently in first place.

As for my finger, I must give that a try one day. How many fingers have you lost to the beast?;)

Hi capitanpugwash
I havent lost a finger yet but i did loose a chunk of skin off an index finger about 4 months ago.
So how long have you had yours and do you use it much, as I say I only use mine for 28mm pipe really

5-7 seconds is not bad unguided1.... Mine is quite a long longer and needs a bit of a seeing to I think. Thanks for taking part in the race. You and your tool are currently in first place.

As for my finger, I must give that a try one day. How many fingers have you lost to the beast?;)

I have found this thread of interest because as i'm becoming an old git i am loosing my grip (arthritis) and have saw and thought about these. I don't think i would have the patience tho. I'll stick to my 30 year old ridgids i think when my hands play up.

I saw one of these in my local merchants a while ago. Picked it up and was looking at it when Joe, the counter boy, said to "While you're playing with that Croppie, don't stick your fingers in!" Apparently a day or so before some one had, it cut him to the bone before he could get it stopped!

I put it down sharpish!

I saw one of these in my local merchants a while ago. Picked it up and was looking at it when Joe, the counter boy, said to "While you're playing with that Croppie, don't stick your fingers in!" Apparently a day or so before some one had, it cut him to the bone before he could get it stopped!

I put it down sharpish!

Unlike little dogs when this one bites you can bite it back as much as yer like, but yer not going to get a satisfying yelp out of it and yer will probably break yer teeth on it

Hi capitanpugwash
I havent lost a finger yet but i did loose a chunk of skin off an index finger about 4 months ago.
So how long have you had yours and do you use it much, as I say I only use mine for 28mm pipe really

Unfortunately just got mine and with 20seconds a cut it has not even seen real action. Don't have time to wait for that!!! Think I need to send it back to where it came....

Unfortunately just got mine and with 20seconds a cut it has not even seen real action. Don't have time to wait for that!!! Think I need to send it back to where it came....

you dont think it might be tight because its new, does it sound like it is labouring or struggling, the reason I ask is mine seemed to take for ever when I first got it and I was definately not impressed with it when cutting 15mm and 22mm, as I do a lot of 28mm work I found it acceptible so it just may be that the newness hasnt worn off yet

well if you want to sell it on ill buy it as ill use the batts on my radio m8

I have one.. except my charger blew up so i dont use it atm... its useless for 15mm pretty useless on 22.. but it is really good on 28.. which is good because 28 takes forever to cut with slices and always swivels up the pipe... so good if you do alot of work with 28 other wise.. not worth it.. also i paid 90 for mine on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone got a Milwaukee 12V copper pipe cutter????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock