Search the forum,

Discuss anyone else struggling for work?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Everyone,

Had my own business for 4 1/2years and never really been without work. but now i am really struggling for work. I am the only earner with 3 children, apprentice & just about to complete on a house, so is the worst time for a dry patch and no savings as all gone into trying to get onto the property ladder.

At the moment i am working one week to the next where i am usually booked up 2-3months in advance. I have a good reputation, no massive mishaps & as far as i am aware no one has been moaning about me.

I am on checkatrade & get recommended on Facebook threads occasionally.
Tried my boiler but just seems full of time wasters.
I am getting my van sign written Thursday as never got round to it when it was replaced about 7 months ago to try and get some more calls coming in.

Any one got any advice how i can get more work without spending a fortune??

Thanks

Leaflets seem to get a good response but depends on area

Hi shaun,

Thanks for the reply, just looked at leaflet prices didn't realise they were so cheap. Think i will give few hundred a go next week and see how it goes.

Thanks

Hi shaun,

Thanks for the reply, just looked at leaflet prices didn't realise they were so cheap. Think i will give few hundred a go next week and see how it goes.

Thanks

It's worth a punt if you live in a built up area (no good if you've got fields around )

I think it's gone very quiet for alot of folk round my way. Not got much on myself and hearing lots others twiddling their thumbs.

Hard to say this but don’t worry... you will see an upturn in September after the schools go back , people seem to let holidays overrule their lifes these days . My house has been on the market for 3 weeks now and not even had a viewing , the estate agents are all saying how quiet it is .
As for leaflet dropping , definitely worth it but make your leaflet look professional, dont use cheap paper. Gloss paper needed with plenty colour.

Thanks town,

i have ordered the leaflets today and went for the better quality, i will let you know how it goes.

Just a bit of advice on your leaflet.

PLEASE completely ignore YOUR needs in the leaflet. Write it like you are someonevwho needs a plumber. What do you want that person to be like, offer & to deal with.

Talk about reliability, takingbresonsibility, doing the right thing, respecting peoples time and helping them live their lives more easily.

HTH

I'm busier than I want to be, have been for about a year now.
I tried leaflets but didn't get a decent response from them, tried local newspaper, it was pretty costly although it did work.
The best return (for leads) I've had is from my website, it cost me ÂŁ10 for the first year to register the domain, every year since it costs ÂŁ26 to redo the domain and pay for the hosting.
I don't pay anyone to manage it or do the SEO on it, I do it myself. 20 minutes every couple of weeks making changes and adding bits to it keeps it on page one of Google, whenever I lapse and ignore the site for a couple of months it drops down off page one.
The higher up on a Google search it goes - the more the phone rings.
Also get plenty of work from the google places listing and that's geographical so the closer people are to me the more likely I am to be at the top, got enough 5 star reviews to be a 5 star on that too which helps a lot.

But the key to being busy for me isn't just getting the leads, it's doing a good job at the right price, turning up on time, being pleasant, tidying up after myself etc. and becoming what the customer calls 'their plumber', when you have enough customers who trust you enough to recommend you - they do your advertising for you :D

Thanks JC for that very thorough reply, yes i have been very busy for 4 years just gone really slow all of a sudden bit strange.

I will try doing the SEO on my website more as did not think about that.

Thanks

Just a bit of advice on your leaflet.

PLEASE completely ignore YOUR needs in the leaflet. Write it like you are someonevwho needs a plumber. What do you want that person to be like, offer & to deal with.

Talk about reliability, takingbresonsibility, doing the right thing, respecting peoples time and helping them live their lives more easily.

HTH
What do you mean by 'YOUR needs'? You mean don't mention that you are looking for more work, or something else?

Mostly when we write ads we write them from OUR perspective. "I'll do this, I won't do that" However customers couldn't give a fig about us. All they are interested in is them. So, if we write like we have THEIR needs front and centre then they are more likely to call YOU.

An example.
"It doesn't matter whether it's a dripping tap or a full bathroom. If it matters to you then it matters to us and we guarantee to answer the phone when you ring, turn up when we say (or ring you before), to do a professional job for a fair price and respect both you and your home."

What you are doing is giving people an opportunity to connect with the human being behind the ad and to gauge you and your standards.

Oh one last thing. Always, always, always put your full name, full address & both a landline & mobile number if you can. Doing it shows people you have nothing to hide.

I think it's gone very quiet for alot of folk round my way. Not got much on myself and hearing lots others twiddling their thumbs.

Same out in the Tavi area gone very slack, only odd jobs, maybe to do with the hot weather ! But this year seems to be very quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to anyone else struggling for work?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock