Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Anyone any idea why FGT is 252c in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Thomas

Thomas New Member

hi all, came across this today upon doing a service. Everything on o2,c02 was correct, pressure and air correct. New nozzle and correct size but Reading 252c on fgt. anyone any idea what could cause this? I usually aim for around 190-220. It is a 16 year old bluebird

Thanks

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Where was the fgt taken from?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Hi best,

I used the hole that has been drilled near bottom centre of the flue near were it meets the boiler.

4. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I assume you mean a hole drilled in the actual flue?
    I just was checking that, because was thinking you maybe were using the cleaning door test point, which would be too hot.
    Ideally on a standard efficiency oil boiler the flue test hole should be away from top of boiler a little - 300mm if possible in my opinion.
    Are the boiler baffles in good condition plus staggered properly and shell clean?
    If all correct then your nozzle maybe faulty, or nozzle has got mixed up and wrong labelled nozzle container. Seen new nozzles faulty putting out too much oil.
    Maybe just check oil pressure with a different gauge to be sure your oil gauge was reading ok.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Yes there was a hole from previous services. All is in good order internally and baffles back in correct order. I might pop back tomorrow and try another nozzle, the flue is the old type with enamel coating on bottom half
    Thank you for your reply

• Like Like x 1
  6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I edited my above post and added a couple of points to check

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Thank
    Thanks mate, I will check pump pressure again also all readings were perfect and no other dramas bar the fgt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Doesn’t happen often, but sometimes a faulty brand new nozzle causes bother.
    I saw a 120 Warmflow Bluebird that was burning serious and put pure bitumin coating (literally) on inner shell. Turned out it was the service idiot had just prior to this, put a new nozzle - a 0.5 instead of a 1.0 gallon Danfoss nozzle. Was seriously overaired

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Would that kind of temperature be a real drama?

10. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Maybe not on your boiler.
    I forgot to ask you what output of boiler it was?
    I find the Warmflows of that vintage had tight baffles that get easily damaged if severe heated and although if lots of sulphur blocks around the baffles it obviously results in them being over heated, it also happens to fairly clean ones

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I think it was 26.4kw output

12. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

An example of real overheat was on a 50/70 bluebird I went to service and discovered NO baffles. The oil pressure had been accidentally raised by the tenant to I think near full gauge pressure . But it had been left like that for a long time.
    The two baffles had just nearly disappeared, with just fragile thin pieces of metal in boiler base.
    Must have cost some kerosine :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Fairly big boiler then. Flue temperature should be low on that though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Yeah I was thinking around 180 to be honest. I will look further into it

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thomas

Thomas New Member

At least they were heating the atmosphere :)

• Funny Funny x 1