Search the forum,

Discuss Any ideas why this would be piped this way? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Pickwickpick

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been to do a quote today, one of the elements of the job involves tidying up the mess of pipes underneath the boiler. Its a regular/heat only boiler, with the hot water supplied communally.

The pipework is a complete mess and for some reason the return pipework from the rads is connected to the hot water under the sink that supplies the kitchen tap, with an iso valve between them which is in the off position. Its a bit hard to describe so I've done a drawing of it below. Any ideas what the purpose of this would be?

Forgot to add, the pipework reduces down to 15mm just before the draincock.

Thanks for the thoughts, yep was thinking it must be a dodgy filling loop that they mistakenly connected to the hot rather than cold. There's a hell of a lot that needs doing to bring this up to an acceptable standard, including a filling loop that is in accordance with regs! The pipework in this property, especially the kitchen, brings back memories of the wiring loom on my Bedford TK before we rewired it all, years of people patching in and out without any thought into doing things properly or making life easier for the next person to come along!

One of my photos came out visible at least:

If I get the job (not convinced I will as added on a sizeable contingency as its such a mess, have a feeling will be undercut by a plastic cowboy) will grab some pics of under the sink before I crack on with it, there's some 'creative' use of flexis & valves to say the least!

If the communal hot water isn't metered, it could be nicking it for the htg system!

You could be onto something there, although based on the shoddy workmanship I'm leaning more to incompetence over malice.

Reply to Any ideas why this would be piped this way? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The unit underneath has no access to the tap and from measuring, the unit does not even go as back as where the tap is. The pipework is a mess. I think the only solution is to remove the sink as I don't think my tapex kit will get to the tap bolts from cutting from the bottom with my multitool...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock