Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Any advice on installing basin and tap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. falable

falable New Member

2. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. falable

falable New Member

hi, i forgot to mention its a smaller bathroom, just shower/toilet/basin.
    also i dont remember where my wall studs are, so will the basin be held onto the wall by just the fixing?

4. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

You could try and see what happens. I’ve used them a few times and they have been on solid walls. Baring in mind you’ll also have the pedestal that will also take some of the weight.

Replace all the waste traps and pan connectors with a decent branded types such as MacAlpine. You don’t want to take the stuff apart once its finished.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Do not use plumbing fittings water or waste from bq etc they are poor quality and do not fit each other well...go to,your local plumbers merchants. Get
    plenty of ballo fix valves and bang them in so when you get a water leak you dont have to panic. Use multikwick pan connectors and mc alpine waste. keep us informed of progress ...good look. centralheatking

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber Top Contributor!!

For that type of basin/pedestal you are fine fitting to studwall. The pedestal takes the weight and you just have two screws to stop it coming away from wall. Use brass or stainless steel screws. You don’t need the basin fixing bolts for this situation, and probably that basin could not use them anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Rob Foster

Some people have been known to use car body filler to stick basins back to the wall I find it quite effective but you only get one chance. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

8. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber Top Contributor!!

That sounds daft, a couple of small blobs of silicone if you must.
    Remember these things should all be reversible, if basin gets cracked you shouldn’t have to destroy bathroom to remove it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. WC1

WC1 Active Member

If you don't want to buy them by the box you can get small quantities of stainless steel screws on eBay. Brass is ok but a bit soft. I don't use anything other than s/s in bathrooms and usually throw away screws supplied. I think it's a worthwhile cost.

• Like Like x 1
  10. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sorry to be a pedant WC1, but stainless is LESS robust than brass. Stainless is annealed (softened) as part of its corrosion resistance process.
    Most brass screws in this instance use a traditional slotted head. Stick with those as the shank under the head is thicker so stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Hi Dave, I always thought brass was softer, maybe because I usually cam out the brass slots but then I am a self confessed ham fisted vegetarian!
    I bow to your superior knowledge.

12. falable

falable New Member

i was planning to use a jabsaw and tear into the wall to find the joist, then mark it and patch repair. what do you think?

13. falable

falable New Member

hi, i've been using bnq and screwfix for plumbing supplies. should i continue or replace?

14. falable

falable New Member

so should i throw away the fixings supplied?
    also could you send me a link on suitable brass screws?

15. Rob Foster

I would use a claw or ball peen hammer to knock dainty holes in the wall after I had used a slim screwdriver to locate the studwork and maybe a noggin.
    This way you might not damage a cable in the wall. centralheatking

• Useful Useful x 1