Search the forum,

Discuss Another looking for advice,slight job change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milney

Hello, I'm a Mechanical engineer. I completed my Deed/Indenture of Apprenticeship within the MOD(NVQ3 in engineering amongst other qualifications) ,and since worked with helicopters/weapon systems and currently working within a plastics company(thermoforming). I have just been informed that 90 redundancies are coming and likely I'm one(they are asking for volunteers first).
I'm another 30 year old looking to get into the plumbing/gas heating trade, i currently plumb our heater cooling systems(heaters operate in region of 200c-350c) ,water/air/ and vacuum supplies So I'm not a total newbie to trade, i also have helped plumbing friends fit 2 kitchens ,2 bathrooms and the GSH in my home.(not trying to sound big, just trying to show i have some knowledge about plumbing etc )

Now the question is this : Do you think that doing a course to get my C&G 6089 and 6129 the fast track way and costing around £4000-£6000 is a good idea?
In my area there are a few plumbers but not many gas engineers , and the majority of gas engineers around here are not interested in boiler servicing(they tied up with installations where they say more money is).
I would like to work for myself and have a friend who i could work with for assessments to gain NVQ2 and 3. I don't want to part with cash for training to people like BTSC who claim you can complete training within 70 days(but don't tell you there are weeks apart between modules, therefore pushing training time up to 12 months.

I may be able to get gardening leave from my work as well as redundancy money, therefore i could train whilst still being paid by old company, DOES anyone have any training places to recommend in south UK ?

Thanks for your time, James

its possible to gain the quals but is it worth 5k? if u really wanna do plumbing and make a caREER out of it then yes

Tell me James - I'm curious what in the world is 'gardening leave', (I'm a northener by the way).

practice of instructing an employee who is leaving an employer (following a resignation, or having been made redundant or otherwise terminated) to stay away from work during their notice period. The practice is often used to prevent employees from working for the employer's competitors for a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another looking for advice,slight job change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock