Search the forum,

Discuss Annoying noise in pipes. Intermittent approx every minute. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Victorian house converted into 5 flats. Four flats have a persistent sound of water in the pipes sometimes followed by a knocking sound at intervals of around one minute. 24/7 even when no-one is using water. Basement flat appears not to have it but can be heard faintly on the main in the street so this is uncertain. Unsuccessfully investigated by Thames Water during visit lasting over two hours. Been advised unlikely to be a leak as sound is not constant. No overflows from the building. No pumps. No tanks in any flats except in basement and this appeared to be fine. Five plumbers unable to find the problem.
Can anyone help?
Question posted by one of the homeowners.

toilet flush letting by so it is filling and then shuts off than empties a bit and fills again most toilets now overflow into themselves not a pipe so you need to check all the toilets are ok

Toilets with internal overflow usually problem overflowing unoticed. Persistent sound of water noise should be investigated to rule out if water running to something.
If nothing obvious then could be leak outside property maybe below ground and could even be outside the boundary . Should be easy to check the basics.
Isolate main stopcock first to building. If noise still there, isolate mains st road.
Other than that, isolate each flat.
Stopcocks can make a knocking noise.
Try to find another good experienced plumber.

Our building didn't have a stopcock so we have just had one installed by Thames Water. When we turned it off the noise stopped so it is definitely in the building and not the street.
We will try isolating each flat next.
Thanks for your help

Reply to Annoying noise in pipes. Intermittent approx every minute. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Really hoping for a hero to help out as I'm at my wits end. I am a first time home owner & have just moved into an old council flat (it is located on the 2nd floor and there is 1 property below me). During the day & night at random intervals there is an incredible loud surging...
Replies
Views
N
Hi All I know I know ... another HE24 LF code problem. Fix is replace boiler ;-) My problem is slightly different to other posts I've been reading in that the boiler works fine for 95% of the time. It will often go a few days then we get the LF code. We hit reset and it always always...
Replies
Views
Mikesin
M
Hi there, Would really appreciate some help please. Had this problem for a few weeks now and it is quite annoying and owing to the loudness I'm surprised the neighbours haven't complained yet. I keep getting intermittent vibrating / buzzing noises on the mains water inlet pipe where water comes...
Replies
Views
Hello, Three days backs, the pipes in my flat next to the hot water tank banged violently for a few seconds (water hammer?). Since then, the water in the pipes is creating a whooshing sound that comes for a brief period when the toilet is flushed or tap is used. In addition, the cold water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock