Search the forum,

Discuss Ancient tap giving me hip. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

sammathias

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got an old what I believe to be a steam train tap I fitting for a client a couple of years ago in his bathroom...recently it's started Soding out.

Dropbox - IMG_20181113_122649.jpg

Dropbox - IMG_20181113_122723.jpg

I have repaired it with vasaline twice previously...which done the trick but is there a more permanent solution? I can tighten the spindle really tight to stop any leak but then you can't turn tap on haha

Is it the stuffing gland thats leaking? TBH just saying its buggering about is not too much to go on :(

Edit: the issue is that water has probably eroded the body - as it does. You're right its designed specifically for steam. Using it for water was never going to be long term.

If you can, you need to shim it to pull the taper in a little more tightly. Thats all you can possibly do.

Basically leaks out of the spindle if I tighten the nut holding it all together it seals but just is impossible for someone to turn tap on and off. I have found vasaline works for best part of a year no trouble. Just wondered if there was a better solution.

I'd guess the taper has worn. You could try lining the body with wet and dry (1,000 grit), adding water, and grinding the valve into it gently for a few revolutions. Then reverse, with the wet and dry wrapped around the valve and grinding the inside of the body. No more than 10 gentle turns each way. If that makes it a bit better, try ten more turns each, but I'd be reluctant to go beyond that.
What it really needs is a very light skim of both body and valve in a lathe, but very difficult to set up so that the skimming at the right angle to the centres, and consistent.

Reply to Ancient tap giving me hip. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock