Search the forum,

Discuss Am I the only one having these problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

Went to a breakdown (?) - the customer complained that the dhw gets really hot and then turn cold on a combi. Initial thought was overheat stat or dhw thermistor. Tried to simulate the problem by turning on various taps but the problem never repeat while I am there, although the customer insisted that the problem happens to him all the time. Was going to take out my multimeter but since the problem didn't happen the customer didn't want to pay. Got the impression that he's trying to avoid paying if he can get away with it - prob just want me to do the diagnostic and tell him the problem then prob try to fix it himself. I left the job.

The other day, a customer wanted me to help him fit a gas hob. Got there he said his DIY mate did some of the pipe work but want me to connect up the hob at some stage when the building work complete. Never mentioned this before i got there. Anyway while I am there he said is it possible that I can quickly do a tightness test for him. Since this only take 5 mins I did this as a gesture with the hope that I will get the job. I didn't get the job.

What am I doing wrong? :(

been stung more than once by rogue customers,i now tell them it is £45.00 call out and if i get the job then i will refund them the call out,surprising how many custards think fuel/expenses and our time is free.

I went to quote for a new WB CDi combi last year, custard seemed well informed (internet warrior) anyhow we drank tea, i repaired his frost damaged outside tap as a goodwill gesture with his materials but had to get drill out etc, long story short i thought i had bagged it, when getting in the van his wife appeared on the drive from work......
Wife "what are you doing here?"
Me "quoting to replace your Sime combi with a WB"
Wife "oh not again!!!...sorry love he has had dozens of quotes from Vailliant guys, now he has started on WB's..... we have no money for a new boiler he gets bored at home and likes the company of you guys and talking boilers....oh and to get his little jobs done........
Me "DDDDDOOOOHHHHHH"
You live and learn

This seems to happen to us all i think
worst one nowadays is when your the first in to quote on a new install or boiler change over customer seems to just use your quote to get the others down
the days of first up best dressed are gone

My favourites are when the customer calls you to estimate a job, then quizzes you to see what you are going to do in detail. Most of the time you just know that they are going to 'do' the job themselves armed with your knowledge and advice... I have started being a little more vague when explaining things to try and stop this, still get it though.

Do not do anything without money in your hand and dont do little favours unless they have already paid you for something.

I do a similar thing to 'ward', I charge a £20 call out fee and then refund this later when the job is complete, though I call it a deposit as most customers call me back for the job.

once was asked to do a cp12 where i found what could only be described as a dangerous mess,
the woman said her husband had installed the boiler himself and she wanted a professional to make sure it was okay

this guy had a homemade flue made out of the old openflued flue and an elbow for a waste pipe
the spur was under the floor boards among other bizarre stuff

wize up guys,you need to read people very carefully,i dont do anything for nothing,i am a registered gas engineer,no where on my van or paper work does it state registered charity,people always have 2 faces learn to tell which ones lying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I the only one having these problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock