Search the forum,

Discuss allowed drop when doing a tightness test... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
what would happen for example if you done a landlord safety check on a property on the monday morning then on the friday of the same week there was a gas explosion at that same property due to a gas leak?
Gas Safe and the hse would want to see the landlords up to date gas safety records which would then have a n/a next to the part that says tightness test pass or fail.
Do you think this would be acceptable to do? I think they would not be too happy with you whether they could charge you or not with a criminal offence is irrelevant they would not accept an not applicable next to the tt bit of form,
If I am wrong then you learn something new every day

Tamz we have to agree to disagree then. The LGSR CP12 form was proposed by CORGI at the time and approved by The Health & Safety Executive as compliance with the regulations. If we take the regulations literally then I agree with you, because its not specific. No problem if you write not tested, but does this forefill the landlords duties? Maintain gas pipes.

Well 3456 you have indeed learned something, believe me.
I am not saying it is right, just stating it as it is.

Btw, a tightness test is just a snapshot in time of how things are.

In your example above, say a TT carried out on the Monday, the tenant decides to fix that squeaky board just after you leave and nails a pipe. He has no sense of smell and wakes with a bang (or doesn't) on the Tuesday. He is not around to say he nailed a few boards but your paperwork says all was well on Monday..........................

Steve
It would be so easy to change the wording on the regs but once again who are we????

Agree totally, Snap shot TT (MOT on the motor only as good as it leaves the test centre). But the HSE like to see it done. Its all about covering the butt. Ultimately the landlord has the resposibility, so he employs me, to do the LGSR to forefill his duty. The landlords duty is to get a registered business to check the gas safety of the dwelling he is renting. If I do not put a TT on the system, that could be seen as not maintaining the gas pipe. If something happens there after that requires investigation, then, its easier to say, I tested at the time and it was safe.

On the button tamz. I myself was caught up in a small incident where a TT was carried after work, but fittings were disturbed the same day resulting in a gas leak.
The installation was gas tight when I left and thankfully the incident was fully investigated and had no implication on myself.

It is good practise to do a TT, but unless you are cutting into pipework etc., it is not a requirement and if you do not do one during normal course of work such as annual service etc., but have had no smell of gas and used LDF on disturbed test points. You have completed the job as per the regs and should have nothing to worry legally.

I agree with you Steve. But the regs and wording need sorting out.

As for the example i gave above.
Last week i was doing an install in an empty tenement in Leith (Edinburgh). Everything finished tested and commisioned.
Couple of boards still up to sweep the dust under. Apprentice laid the boards back. Getting the tools and gear out to the van and i give it another final test before closing the door as i always do. I can see a drop straight away but let it go for the 2 mins. 7mb drop and know it was fine an hour earlier. No smell of gas either. Bit of a moan to the boy (putting it mildly) and lift the last few boards to go down and sure enough a nail through the gas. It is easily done and we have all done it. (if he had nailed a heating pipe and flooded the downstairs house i would have probably hung him out the window by the ankles:eek:)
Word to the wise.
Make sure a test is the last thing you do before leaving.

Graham
Glad it came out ok but i know it would have been a worrying time. Thankfully has never happened to me but it could happen to anyone.

This has been a good thread with a lot of information and things to think about:)

I'm away to take the dogs for a quick walk.

Btw. did i mention i hate cats :D

Thats exactly the point. GrahamM. You did everything to the book. Recorded on the form on the date and time you were there. Only as good as you left it. But at least you did the TT. Professional approach, document what you do.

it only takes 5 min and what we dont want is this to turn around to be the most important 5 min in your life thereafter full of regret !!!

doing the test isnt the issue, here it is working within the regs on the result of the test, as i have already said, if you test when not mandatory, do you then test carcass only and shut a system down as it has a 0.5mb drop, or invoice Xhrs @£X's to find it, then when the customers moans to another engineer to be told the test and invoice wasnt mandatory, your useful help/professional attitude will be the cause of a moan from a customer who is £400 down, they wont see it as a potential safety feature for their family, we know what they are like

no it doesnt, when i do a service properly i disconnect as required and then when i put the bits back together i test everything to the nearest downstream valve (the appliance iso ) with LDF, and i fully comply with the regs, when doing LGSC's it was part of our contract/price to do a TT, but a contract which is stricter than the regs doesnt make it mandatory for every job, it is reasonable for us all to have slightly different points of view on things, but i think it is totally unprofessional for some of us not to know the regs

Yeah,i totally agree........but a CP12 is a GAS SAFTEY CERTIFICATE.......so if your not testing the gas carcuss then how are you fully checking the gas in that property

Yeah,i totally agree........but a CP12 is a GAS SAFTEY CERTIFICATE.......so if your not testing the gas carcuss then how are you fully checking the gas in that property

re-read what i wrote, i said when i do a service i dont TT, when i do a LGSC i do, i interpret the landlords requirement to verify safety of gas carcass as needing a TT to do this for me (plus a visual inspection where possible) a lot of us are quoting different types of work and whether we do/dont do a TT,

so it is confirmed that do do a landlords gas safety check a tighgtness test must be carried out in order to properly check that property and that n/a next to the tt bit of the form would not be aloud from gas safe / hse

so it is confirmed that do do a landlords gas safety check a tighgtness test must be carried out in order to properly check that property and that n/a next to the tt bit of the form would not be aloud from gas safe / hse

It is not a 'must' it is a 'recommended', my earlier post is copied directly from the guidance notes in GSIUR

It is not a 'must' it is a 'recommended', my earlier post is copied directly from the guidance notes in GSIUR

i agree 100% with your comment, and like other things in the regs, open to interpretation, which nobody cares about until there is a problem,
it is accepted by us all that a landlord MUST confirm the integrity of the gas carcass, how we confirm this should be easy to agree on as well ie a TT, however we seem to be getting caught up maybe not trying to be clever, but well i dont know what we are trying to do, but ultimately it needs to go to court to decide what is needed to confirm a gas carcass is sound, it would seem easier to use a test that is industry recognised as the bench mark but we seem to want to discuss it to death as it doesnt actually say TT in the regs, of those that dont do TT for LGSC how do you confirm it is safe? there are 2 points getting crossed over in these posts, the other being the need/desire to do a TT every time, as i have posted im not against it as long as the customer is made aware of the potential problems of finding a tiny leak, which with appliances connected is allowed to be left, i advise people to check with the customer BEFORE doing a TT that isnt mandatory purely to CYA if you find a tiny leak that requires a full re-pipe, because i know if you dont agree first and the customer finds out a TT isnt mandatory on a service then they will loan the face off you for costing then £100's, and we all know they will change their mind on the safety side of it when someone else tells them is wasnt mandatory

i agree 100% with your comment, and like other things in the regs, open to interpretation, which nobody cares about until there is a problem,
it is accepted by us all that a landlord MUST confirm the integrity of the gas carcass, how we confirm this should be easy to agree on as well ie a TT, however we seem to be getting caught up maybe not trying to be clever, but well i dont know what we are trying to do, but ultimately it needs to go to court to decide what is needed to confirm a gas carcass is sound, it would seem easier to use a test that is industry recognised as the bench mark but we seem to want to discuss it to death as it doesnt actually say TT in the regs, of those that dont do TT for LGSC how do you confirm it is safe? there are 2 points getting crossed over in these posts, the other being the need/desire to do a TT every time, as i have posted im not against it as long as the customer is made aware of the potential problems of finding a tiny leak, which with appliances connected is allowed to be left, i advise people to check with the customer BEFORE doing a TT that isnt mandatory purely to CYA if you find a tiny leak that requires a full re-pipe, because i know if you dont agree first and the customer finds out a TT isnt mandatory on a service then they will loan the face off you for costing then £100's, and we all know they will change their mind on the safety side of it when someone else tells them is wasnt mandatory

This thread and your comments Kirkgas have both been very helpful. I think if one was standing in the dock the prosecuter would be very interested if someone hadn't followed the recommendation, so although the regs don't say 'must' I reckon we all agree that it's still prudent to TT on a LGSC.
You make a good point on the servicing and the need/no need for TT the complete install and GSR state the same in one of their TBs. If the customer (when asked) reports no smell of gas then there is no need to TT, personally I still do, this has cost me greatly in time recently and it was a cost I was not comfortable to pass on to the customer in that particular instance. The main reason I'll continue to TT on servicing is ensure there is no letby on the ECV, I also use an electronic manometer and print out so I have a record of the snap shot in time...but then again I've always been a bit of a worrier

Kirk you are spot on with what you say and the reasons why.

I have just been playing a bit Devils Advocate here. Certainly got the conversation going and now some may know more than they did on Friday and some reasons behind it;)

Basically I suppose all you are doing is trying to find where the leak is?

Its been suggested that old appliances providing they are in well ventilated areas may have a very small allowable leak through wear. Personally I don't think they should.

The pipework should have no leak, basically it may be due to a failing joint that could pull apart at any time. I have seen joints on water mains just fluxed but they have held under pressure for months. Problem is move them and they leak a gas pipe has far less pressure so a fluxed joint may only show up with a very small drop.

Its been suggested that old appliances providing they are in well ventilated areas may have a very small allowable leak through wear. Personally I don't think they should.

The pipework should have no leak, basically it may be due to a failing joint that could pull apart at any time. I have seen joints on water mains just fluxed but they have held under pressure for months. Problem is move them and they leak a gas pipe has far less pressure so a fluxed joint may only show up with a very small drop.

came across a 22mm gas pipe under the floors before and the straight coupling was just fluxed on, covered in green flux must of been like that for years maybe decades.

i had two socket formed couplings on a heating system that were fluxed and not soldered last 6 years before the showed as a brown mark on the ceiling

i went to an elbow on a heating system that must have been at least 10 years old, been fluxed but never soldered, i did a job on the rad valve and moved it when it started leaking

seen fitting hold with flux under gravity pressure but never directly on the mains.
sometimes you pressurise up a combi heating system and no leaks but then you run heat5ing and with the heat it leaks so i suppose it happens crazy how it holds though

now we have moved onto dodgy fittings we have found, however lets not forget these have been found after a leak was identified these would NOT have been found on the previous TT's unless we were really doing our job and carrying out a full visual inspection as well, but thats another 4 page post haha

now we have moved onto dodgy fittings we have found, however lets not forget these have been found after a leak was identified these would NOT have been found on the previous TT's unless we were really doing our job and carrying out a full visual inspection as well, but thats another 4 page post haha

Wee true story

Dad (also a plumber btw) built a house in 1971. One night about 10 years later i come in half (full) canned about 2 in the morning and can smell gas. Have a sniff about and decide it is coming from under the kitchen floor. So using all the logic of at least 15 Volare and buckfast i roll the carpet up, go out to the van and get a hammer and bolster and a saw and start lifting the floor. Old man comes down the stairs like a raging bull, whit the fk are you doing?
You've got a gas leak.....SLAP get to bed..........
MA he's gassing ye, she's up.........SLAP get to bed.....so i retreated to my boudoir.

Up in the morning.....well about half 11 to a big fry up breakfast and praises from my ma. Seems my dad was an eejit and had never soldered it but it held a test and was fine for about 10 years:D

Gas is a low pressure of 20 odd mb. It doesn't take a lot of holding so always check as far as you can see:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wee true story

Dad (also a plumber btw) built a house in 1971. One night about 10 years later i come in half (full) canned about 2 in the morning and can smell gas. Have a sniff about and decide it is coming from under the kitchen floor. So using all the logic of at least 15 Volare and buckfast i roll the carpet up, go out to the van and get a hammer and bolster and a saw and start lifting the floor. Old man comes down the stairs like a raging bull, whit the fk are you doing?
You've got a gas leak.....SLAP get to bed..........
MA he's gassing ye, she's up.........SLAP get to bed.....so i retreated to my boudoir.

Up in the morning.....well about half 11 to a big fry up breakfast and praises from my ma. Seems my dad was an eejit and had never soldered it but it held a test and was fine for about 10 years:D

Gas is a low pressure of 20 odd mb. It doesn't take a lot of holding so always check as far as you can see:D

Buckfast! good grief, you Scots baffle me lol

It tastes like cats pysh. Never drunk it for about 30 years. Tasted better mixed with Volare (cheap red wine) but got you off your nut quick.
They sell it by the half gill (about 70mil in new money) in a lot of pubs from Salsburgh (look that place up on google earth but don't drive through it unless you are in a Saracen :D The original 1 horse town:D) to Glasgow.

Still enjoyed by the young ones who think they are doing something new:eek:

saw a program on tv about it, apparently it's made by monks and has huge amounts of caffiene in it as well as being pretty strong, I'd have probably tried it in my youth but I think I'd pass these days, getting a bit fragile in my old age

It is indeed made by monks from a place in Devon?? called Buckfast Abbey. About 15% but when you tan 3 bottles or so it is lethal. Also known as "wreck the hoose juice"
Just try it for the experience:) It is (was) a good dunt. Put it in the fridge first;)

Canny believe i'm encouraging Buckfast:D:D:eek:

I love the literary scotts accent. I finished for tonight. Going up the apple & pears for a Bo peep.

So am i. Got the Santa duties tomorrow for the weans and an early night for a 3am rise.

Still got the vat to finish too..................easily distracted

Hmmm..Ok so youve found a leak "within limits" on a gas carcass conected to a boiler, the boiler has an iso valve on it, where does it then say that you Have to then isolate the apliance and test again?. ( I will always Isolate first afetr finding a drop btw) Iam genuinly just interested.

It doesnt say to do that anywhere... but how many of you would leave a 2mb drop anyway... i certainly couldnt, sphinkter reverberation syndrome always makes me find the drop. So the regulations have you captured into doing it safely

gb-gas

buckfasts disgustin!!! used to drink it all the time, still do occasionally but don't enjoy the taste whatsover :p

as for the streotype that buckfast makes you go nuts i disagree, give me sum vodka and i go nuts...not buckfast :p

i live in Coatbridge which has/had the uneviable title as being the town which consumed most buckfast per head of population in the whole of Britain, and i might add someone is drinking mine as i have NEVER let one drop pass my lips, there are a load of pubs up here which have it on the optics as well, ii am sick of the sight of seeing the smashed green glass every where, i wish they would sell it in plastic bottles to save on the mess and damage when someone gets skelped over the head by a bottle as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to allowed drop when doing a tightness test... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock