Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Air seperatrs- Who uses them on Domestic? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. 999

999 GSR

Who fits air seperators on sealed systems for domestic?
    Is their any real benifit long term or would the tramped air released from a rad 1 week later surfice ?
    Interested to know what peeps thoughts are and why:)

2. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Complicated subject. There are many posts about the pros and cons and whys and wherefores.

In summary,
    • deaeration on a brand new copper only system will give best life and performance.
    • on open vented or systems with plastic pipework you are wasting your time with deaeration as air is being introduced continually

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No need another thing to go wrong, just make sure the system is correctly installed and air tight

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Atag recommend fitting one ? but as Shaun said if the system is fitted correctly and sound with no leaks it should vent through the rads the boiler and any manual vents fitted not a big fan of aav where they can't be seen. Kop

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

Vailant have their kit now a separator and filter and say no inhibitor

6. 999

999 GSR

Heard this "no inhibitor" a few times now from a few engineers.
    Odd as its recommended by radiator manufacturers but certain boiler manufacturers say No

7. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

if you go on the course vaillant say the air seperator romoves all the micro bubbles and the magnet catches any debris they also want a ph level low

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

What happens when the customer tops the system up that's what I want to know it's going to send the ph out of wack

9. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

supposedly if you have flushed the system correctly you get the correct Ph level the air searator will take any air put back in with top up out of the system so theretically shouldnt affect the PH level, but i suppopse you need to check every service interval. dont shoot me i am only the messenger lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

I know a guy in Kent who fits one on every new boiler install (Veissmann).

11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Surely all the more reason to fit one. Then the air would also be being removed continually?

12. ShaunCorbs

you got his name? first will be ok

13. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

Aaron...:p:D

14. YorkshireDave

Interesting Shaun. So what happens to the free oxygen created by heating the water, by cavitation of not perfect fittings etc?

15. YorkshireDave

It is and it isn't! Removing it means pressure loss which means introducing more aerated water. My understanding is that generally, leaving it alone, venting occasionally the rad that it collect in, then topping up really slowly, is the way to have least problems. I have 'one of those' and this way of managing it works. I had a deaerator and ended up isolating it as we were topping up too often.