Search the forum,

Discuss Air Lock in water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,
Last week, the hot water (mixer) tap in the bathroom on ground floor stopped running. I assumed it was due to an air lock in the pipes. We have a gravity fed system, with a cold water tank at the top of the house and a vented hot water cylinder on the ground floor. We have a conventional boiler as house is 3 storey townhouse.

I tried to force the cold water back up but didn't work. So today I drained the cold water tank right down and then refilled. Unfortunately it has made the situation worse, with the showers not working and hot and cold bathroom taps not running.

I am keen to try to rectify it (as I have made it worse!) so any advice most welcome.

thanks
Rob

First thing to try is turn your showers to full hot. Take the shower head off and hold the hose at the base of the tray/bath. Open the shower and see if that helps.

If you have a mixer tap in your kitchen with hopefully mains cold supply (otherwise its illegal) then its easy...close off the output spout as best as you can..I use a G Clamp and a few beers mats. Then turn on the hot side fully..and then go around all the other hot taps, then go back and really give it some from the kitchen cold side
this usually blows most of the cobwebs away..and then reverse above ...sometimes sorted ... Rob Foster aka centralheatking

First thing to try is turn your showers to full hot. Take the shower head off and hold the hose at the base of the tray/bath. Open the shower and see if that helps.
thanks for reply. This helped. I did this on the ground floor shower and it spluttered into action. Now back to normal. However, the hot water in GF mixer sink (bathroom) still not working (cold water ok). On first shower, didn't work. Its very odd but on ff bathroom, the bath mixer hot water works, but not cold, the shower hot water works but not cold and the sink hot water works but not cold. I will try the suggestion about holding the tap in kitchen. thanks again

If you have a mixer tap in your kitchen with hopefully mains cold supply (otherwise its illegal) then its easy...close off the output spout as best as you can..I use a G Clamp and a few beers mats. Then turn on the hot side fully..and then go around all the other hot taps, then go back and really give it some from the kitchen cold side
this usually blows most of the cobwebs away..and then reverse above ...sometimes sorted . Rob Foster aka centralheatking
thanks will give it a shot, sounds like it will be messy!

It could be that some of your cold plumbing is off the main and some off the cold water tank. Also any of your taps compressive type (fully turn to open)? Have you had any work carried out recently?

If you can/have a wet vacume handy you could try attaching it to the taps that are not working and pull the air lock and water through. I going on the info you have provided it sounds like all your bathrooms are feed from the storage tank in the loft cold and hot via the hot water cylinder. Wet vac usually works if there is no cold mains water near by

I had this problem with a customer once. Took ages to figure it out, but on blowing back the other way we found that the decomposing head of a dead mouse had become jammed in the pipework. The mouse had chewed through the cistern lid and fallen in and drowned. The customer got me back very quickly afterwards to upgrade the system to an unvented one!!

Reply to Air Lock in water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock