Search the forum,

Discuss Advice when tightness testing and permissable drop found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must verify that it's not on pipework!

If no smell of gas, no need to isolate appliances to confirm where the drop is. Nothing has changed. That's why it is called permissible drop.
Whether you do or whether you don't is engineering judgement, ie down to you and your conscience. Just make sure you get it documented that there is an existing drop to cover your rse.

Better re read the regs. Igup/1b - that the old one? Drop on connected appliances ok if no smell of gas. Must verify that it's not on pipework! I can't find my copy on phone it's in van. Anyone have a copy for reference?
LPG testing is in BS5842 for small installations and IGEM UP 1A for larger installs.

Found this while looking for a book, it's a s/a eddition.
ahaqeveb.jpg

5apapumu.jpg
a3enu6uj.jpg

Found this while looking for a book, it's a s/a eddition.
ahaqeveb.jpg

5apapumu.jpg
a3enu6uj.jpg

Does this not clarify what I originally said?

And if like you said you have to confirm the pipework is sound by isolating the appliances, are you then happy to leave an appliance you know is leaking?

For the record i don't like to leave any leak on any job, was just quoting what i'd been taught at college.

It's quite possible that the training procedure and ethos for testing gas has moved on since I served my apprenticeship, but before BG split you had a large body of engineers doing a lot of soundness tests who were safety conscious, leaving permissible drops where it met gas regs and not fearing a negative outcome.

I know of no incident now or then where a situation had occurred following a engineer leaving a permissible drop, if it had I think we'd be working to different regs.

So in the circumstances where i'v left a drop I feel happy it's safe to do so, but each to their own.

When I first started it was common place for the older gas fitters to check for leaks using a lit match, I decided not to use that procedure when a fitter I apprenticed for ended up in the living room from underneath the stairs cupboard without using any doors:wings: because he was trying to find a leak on the meter with a match(which obviously he found).

It's now quite possible with the passage of time that i'v become the old git with out dated working practises but until I end up in the living room I'll crack on.

Guy who taught me at college said when you do a tt and are just over the permissible drop, tighten all meter nuts and 9 times out of 10 that will get you back down under permissible drop.....then crack on.

Not quite sure I'd be comfortable leaving a 3.9mb drop on a U6.

Better re read the regs. Igup/1b - that the old one? Drop on connected appliances ok if no smell of gas. Must verify that it's not on pipework! I can't find my copy on phone it's in van. Anyone have a copy for reference?

"Must verify that it's not on pipework"
Are you saying this is a change in the new document?
I've read the doc and there's nothing like that in it, permissable drop on existing system with existing appliances connected is in a table, so by definition if you are allowed a permissable drop on existing with existing appliances you don't need to confirm where it is, HOWEVER if you choose to isolate the appliances and find a drop on the pipework you cannot leave it

"Must verify that it's not on pipework"
Are you saying this is a change in the new document?
I've read the doc and there's nothing like that in it, permissable drop on existing system with existing appliances connected is in a table, so by definition if you are allowed a permissable drop on existing with existing appliances you don't need to confirm where it is, HOWEVER if you choose to isolate the appliances and find a drop on the pipework you cannot leave it

Yep. I'm making a u turn. Thought what I was told and what I do was inline with regs but those are the regs and I'm wrong ! Your statement is very concise and correct . I never leave anything more than 0.25mbar and a pebble dashed bowl tho as what I perceive as best practice . Also it is clear that a small leak is considered not to be a danger. From the second document .

Personally I'm happy to leave 2-3mb on both e6 and u6, anything more and I want to know where it's leaking. 99 times out of 100 it will either be at the meter, at the cooker bayonet or pipe work in a concrete floor without protection.

I also play the rules as I see sensible at the time, if the pipe works all outside bar a couple of feet and I check those internal sections for leaks and find nothing I feel happy to let it be. If the house is a gas pipe rats nest with old fire points everywhere and miles of pipe work ( normally older type houses) I am more wary. A bit of common sense goes a long way IMO.

your confusing 'new installed gas supply and appliances' with existing!

otherwise, why do you think there is not an alarm system required to be installed on all gas installations capeable of picking up any drop of say 1mb or more?
quite simple cheap and effective solution..because it is not required!

Quote> 99 times out of 100 it will either be at the meter, at the cooker bayonet or pipe work in a concrete floor without protection.<Quote: That's a fail then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice when tightness testing and permissable drop found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock