Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss advice re keeping combi boiler and adding a booster pump in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. selondonman

selondonman New Member

hello, was chatting to a friend, he has a good size 5 bedroom house .. current system is a combi boiler and he is looking to upgrade bathrooms and water supply as currently using a tap stop the hot water to the shower

i was surprised when he mentioned to me the the plumber is recommending keeping the combi boiler (4 years old) and adding a stuart turner booster to get the required pressure for the water stores in a 300l Main Cylinder (with pressure inlet kit and expansion vessel) up the the bathrooms on the 2 upper floors ..

i was told pressure was 4 bar

would you only keep a combi boiler if putting a new pipe from the mains proves to be tricky ? house is 1930s with i assume original pipe from mains

i assume a pressurised system including new boiler only works with a pressure that the original pipe cant supply and the pump is the only option

thanks for your advice

2. gmartine

gmartine GSR

Tell your friend to find another plumber.

3. gingalig

gingalig GSR

I'm with gmartine on this one

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Need an unvented cylinder you can keep the combi just feed the bathrooms from the cylinder

5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

You sure they are not useing the combi as a system?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Sounds ok to me.
    Keep combi to do the kitchen and run a hot water zone in.
    300 litre pressurised cyl for the rest with a booster pump and break tank.
    I would fit a dab e sybox, booster,if you have room, as they are quieter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gingalig

gingalig GSR

Think l,ll just go back home and eat my weatabix. It might help looking at the box If I concentrated really hard i might think outside of it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Agreed.

9. gmartine

gmartine GSR

Thought the ST booster pump could only provide 12l/m?