Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimyh

Hello everyone,

Im 34 years old and looking to change direction in life. Ive always been a hands on type of fella and this industry appeals to me.

However i do not want to complete one of these quick courses but rather i want to go to college, i can get some work experience so that part is not much of an issue, what i want to know is what do i need to study, i am going to be doing the 'Guild of gas fitters' certification, and want to basically be able to do mainly domestic gas work along with the normal side of plumbing, ie, bathrooms etc.

any help and advice on what exams i should take will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

James

The hardest part is actually finding a tradesman willing to give you the hands-on work experience but you seem to have that part covered and you're right to avoid the fast track offers because they're a complete con. Enquire at your local colleges to see who's offering plumbing courses and pick yourself up a copy of 'Plumbing' by R.D. Treloar - it's an excellent piece of reference material for students and qualified alike. Try tackling a couple of minor plumbing jobs around the house whether they need doing or not, offer to fix your relative's dripping tap or fit their new washing machine - this will give you a huge boost of confidence and will most likely help you decide if this line of work is 100% what you want to do.

Personally never heard of the 'Guild of Gas Fitters' certification you mentioned though.

Also, which part of the country are you in?

Thanks for your reply Keefy,

The certification i mentioned is on the list from Carshalton college, i was told to get that before any others, it, i believe is an introduction to safe working on gas, and would allow me to apply for my gas safe card and be registered. Im a little worried now, as you have not heard of it and im assuming your in the game already.

Yh, i have the work experience sorted, although i am doing it for free, but i want to learn so dont mind to much. As for D I Y, i do have a couple of radiators that need fitting, including the pipe work so will give that ago.

I live in Surrey, in particular, Leatherhead, Junction 9 off the M25.

The certification i mentioned is on the list from Carshalton college, i was told to get that before any others, it, i believe is an introduction to safe working on gas, and would allow me to apply for my gas safe card and be registered. Im a little worried now, as you have not heard of it and im assuming your in the game already.
I have also never heard of this " guild of gas fitters" so did a quick search.
[DLMURL]http://www.powertrainingcentre.co.uk/courses/gas-courses/DE5166/[/DLMURL]

I think it will at best be as you say an introduction, you definitely would not be able to apply to be gas safe registered after doing this course. How much is the course?

best to start with the plumbing qualification, possibly then progress to gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Toilet continuously flushing/cistern filling. This happens regardless of what else is going on within the house (videos were taken before and after a shower but this happens seemingly randomly and probably happens when no one is home). As a result my water bill has considerably increased but I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock