Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please on flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello I am after some advice if possible.

We moved into your new build home in June 2017. We had our first annual boiler check about 4 weeks ago and 2 things were found

1: gas leak which was traced to a squashed seal on the hob. It was suspected it has been like that since we moved in and slowly leaking gas. I have been advised that it may have passed the gas check on the day and there is little we can do about it with regards to our developer.

2: the external gas flue was not made good around the brick work, and the white pipe was visible. It had a cover over it but there was a kind of hole underneath it and it did not fit properly. We had to get the NHBC involved for our developer to come out and fix it which they did. My question is have they breached any H&S or building regs by signing off the boiler and flue? This is the latest in a very long list of issues we have had with our developer. They currently will not engage in conversation with us about the flue or gas leak.

Hopefully uploaded the only pic I could get (not the best angle I know!)

Any advice would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Lizzie

7E3EC875-B0A9-4F52-9324-FBE11A45EFBE.jpeg

Says it all in the state of the brickwork

Thank you for getting back to me - It has been filled with mortar and made good however I am unsure how it passed the inspection? The installation manuel for the boiler and flue is really clear in that no white pipe should be on show and the brick work needs to be made good. I guess I am wondering where i can go from here in terms of accountability with the developer, and is it worth it?

Not that I am aware of..... maybe it was not as big as Persimmon’s!

Just out of interest why do the flues need to be sealed and why should no white pipe be on show?

Apologies for what is probably a really stupid question - I have no knowledge of boilers at all!

Thanks

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie.

The flue needs to be sealed to ensure no products of combustion can be blown back into the property. It rightly failed the gas safety inspection.

Although it is clear you have issues with the developer (as do most people I know who have bought a new build!) as long as the work is now rectified I would personally let it go and move on.

Hope this helps

All the best

Last edited:
It's a corner that was cut to save time/money.
It was also a slightly grey area until gas safe recently released a bulletin about it.
It's now been fix so best to move on.

Not that I am aware of... maybe it was not as big as Persimmon’s!

Just out of interest why do the flues need to be sealed and why should no white pipe be on show?

Apologies for what is probably a really stupid question - I have no knowledge of boilers at all!

Thanks

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie
More often than not the paint used in the manufacturing of the flues is not UV protected. After being exposed to the sun the paint can begin to flake. I know of a couple of manufacturers who are currently addressing this issue.

Danny

Thanks for your reply Danny.

We have met with our developer and they accepted responsibility and H&S breech. We are in the process of working with them to find a positive resolution to this issue.

??? Where did you get that from??

Because the issue has been rectified, but clearly the OP is still pursuing the issue hoping to come to some sort of "solution" with the developer.

What solution? There was an issue, it has been resolved. Simple.

And why ask, is it worth it to pursue?
I may be wrong but we are all entitled to our opinions I suppose.

Sounds like somebody wants a claim.
It has been resolved but doesn't want to move on and be happy.
Hi Lee

Thanks for your input. Helpful. The flue was part of a long list of issues we (and many others) had with the developer. When we moved into a new home we expected a level of disruption and inconvenience from snags. We did not expect incorrectly and poorly fitted flue system, especially as it had undergone a visual inspection by the engineer who installed it and then 2 reps from the developer before the house was signed off. This coupled with the fact we heard NOTHING from the developer despite numerous emails, NHBC involvement and escalation to our MP. I emailed the CEO and things then started to move. As said the flue was part of a long list of issues we had. For example we have had a foul smell in the en-suite and slow drainage of the shower. It was finally fixed 3 weeks ago. We moved in June 2017......

Did we go into this process wanting “a claim”?..... absolutely not. It was in fact the developer when we met face to face who offered it to us. The works they agreed to carry out on our home as a “gesture of goodwill” for the poor customer service and issues we have had will be completed next week. For anyone interested they are putting power into the garage, lightening and sockets with security lighting of our choosing outside front/Back of the property.

Many thanks to everyone for their useful advice

At no point did you mention the long list of issues.

Hopefully, you can now see my point of view that it looked like you were hoping for a claim because you had to have a flue rectified and that issue only.

Now you have put the bigger picture forward, I can understand your situation better.

I can only go off the information in front of me and before your last post, it seemed to be making a mountain out of a single fault.

Hello I am after some advice if possible.

We moved into your new build home in June 2017. We had our first annual boiler check about 4 weeks ago and 2 things were found

1: gas leak which was traced to a squashed seal on the hob. It was suspected it has been like that since we moved in and slowly leaking gas. I have been advised that it may have passed the gas check on the day and there is little we can do about it with regards to our developer.

2: the external gas flue was not made good around the brick work, and the white pipe was visible. It had a cover over it but there was a kind of hole underneath it and it did not fit properly. We had to get the NHBC involved for our developer to come out and fix it which they did. My question is have they breached any H&S or building regs by signing off the boiler and flue? This is the latest in a very long list of issues we have had with our developer. They currently will not engage in conversation with us about the flue or gas leak.

Hopefully uploaded the only pic I could get (not the best angle I know!)

Any advice would be really appreciated

Many thanks

Lizzie

View attachment 35061
There first post had a few of them listed mate

At no point did you mention the long list of issues.

Hopefully, you can now see my point of view that it looked like you were hoping for a claim because you had to have a flue rectified and that issue only.

Now you have put the bigger picture forward, I can understand your situation better.

I can only go off the information in front of me and before your last post, it seemed to be making a mountain out of a single fault.

Hi Lee

Suggest you read my first post as I clearly stated the issue with the flue was the latest in a long long of problems.

I hope you have a wonderful Friday and are able to enjoy some of the snow.

Masses here - snow day all round!

Unfortunately 'Timtoddted', you are experiencing a phenomenon I come across on an all too regular basis - shoddy workmanship - and it is spreading like the determined and destructive flames of a Forrest fire across our green and pleasant land. The cause of the shoddy workmanship is questionable, which is why I described it as a phenomenon.

You have moved into your new home and should be enjoying the excitement of that and looking forward to what lies ahead. Instead you find yourself making snagging lists and complaints. I feel for you and hope you get it dealt with very soon. In theory, everything in your new home should work perfectly well and do so for many years. Any snags or teething problems should be dealt with immediately and professionally in my opinion.

Reply to Advice please on flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock